Mitchell 300 dog spring

Started by SirCranksalot, November 21, 2022, 12:46:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SirCranksalot

Hello again,

Pls ignore---figured it out duuuh!!

It has been a while since I have been on here. I joined last March and posted 1 question about the old M 300 reels I have. The folks on here were super helpful so I thought I'd ask another question: My reel has the dog and the spring but it is not working. Can someone pls tell me( maybe with a pic) with what the config should look like. I have tried bending the flat metal spring a bit but it did not help. It still does not push the dog against the gear. TIA

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

SirCranksalot

I now have a more puzzling problem. My other M300 reel has an anti-reverse boomerang shaped lever on the outside but no anti-reverse dog or a post to put one on. Pls see attached pic. There must be a quite different anti-reverse dog plus spring on some models compared to the usual one shown on my second pic Any suggestions? TIA

foakes

The A/R reverse dog, spring, and pin are not attached to the frame casing where you show the circle.

They are instead on the inner sideplate alone with the crank, main gear, etc.

It is possible you posted the wrong photo —- and the A/R dog pin is broken off the inside of the sideplate —- if that is what you mean?

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

SirCranksalot

Thx for that. It does indeed look like I took the wrong pic. I will look at it again but I am pretty sure there was no pin on the other side of the casing either. Maybe broken off like you said. I will take a closer look

SirCranksalot

Man oh man---maybe I'm losing it. Gotta stop working on those reels late at night!  :-[  :-[ Thx for posting those pix, foakes. Your pic looks a lot like mine(attached) minus the dog. Looks like it has gotten lost. That dog looks quite different from the one in my other reel, pic posted above. I guess I should look online to see if I can buy one---maybe ebay? Any suggestions? thx

foakes

If your reel "clicked" before disassembly —- then the dog and spring is somewhere around your work area —- or hidden in a greasy paper towel in your waste bin —- or stuck to something due to the nature of that black funky grease in there.

If you can't find it —- I can send you another.

I think yours should be metal —- but they also come in white nylon.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Gfish

The dog in post #2(smaller picture),looks like one from a later model, made outta some kinda plastic. My '74 MG300 has that type. The reels with a boomerang shaped AR switch on the outside should have the metal pawl.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Midway Tommy

A couple of great examples (in both Fred's & Sir's pics) of what Houdini does with those missing Mitchell shims and washers.  ;)  ;D 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

handi2

Depending on the year is how the anti reverse lever looks.

They had metal ones at first them the plastic ones.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

SirCranksalot

Quote from: foakes on November 24, 2022, 01:55:14 AMIf your reel "clicked" before disassembly —- then th3 dog and spring is somewhere around your work area —- o4 hidden in a greasy paper towel in your waste bin —- or stuck to something due to the nature of that blank funky grease in there.

If you can't find it —- I can send you another.

I think yours should be metal —- but they also come in white nylon.

Best, Fred

Thx Fred

There was no clicking sound before I took it apart. i got that year years ago either from a garage sale or Kijiji, so the prev owner may well have lost it. I will have another look just to make double-dog sure that it's not among my tools etc.

How do I arrange to get one from you if I cannot find it?

BTW---Just curious:Do you know the purpose of that straight wire that I identified as a spring? It bends a tiny bit when I rotate the AR. Looking at your pic though, it looks as if the motion of the cam against the upper leg of the dog would create the req'd movement to engage/disengage the gears on the dog. 

Thx for your help

SirCranksalot

Quote from: Midway Tommy on November 24, 2022, 03:32:13 AMA couple of great examples (in both Fred's & Sir's pics) of what Houdini does with those missing Mitchell shims and washers.  ;)  ;D 
yes indeed--I had not noticed the 1 in Fred's pic until you pointed it out! ;D

Gfish

I believe that straight rod-like AR part, puts pressure on the outside(the cover-plate) AR lever, so it stays in AR or neutral mode once put there. It's a bit of a #### to get in or out.

Been fooling around with the 4 shim washer types(4 different locations)on some pre-'70's reels. The reels are 2-1960's(6th version) and a 1966(7th v.?). Trying to get them to feel/sound closer to the pristine(NIB) '74 I have. There is bushing wear, prolly normal for the age/use of these 300's, that can be somewhat mitigated, but it's tricky(have failed several times in the past). Some shims godda be removed and some locations need additional shims. When it comes to the baffle-plate, the brass rotor/pinion and brass side-plate pinion, changing one thing effects the other two. Kinda fun, if you're patient, cause you godda screw-in and unscrew the side-plate each time to test it.

So far I've managed to get them better, and maybe that'll be it because of the bushing wear. I'm improving my technique, though.

The easy one is the on the back side of the aluminum drive gear-shaft. Most of the slop on all 3 reels at this location was sideways(in & out).

The reels came to me from jpg1200 at a great price, thanks James.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

jgp12000

Glad to share like so many on here like yourself Gregg,have with me!I have noticed the blue penn grease gets thicker the cooler it gets,not a good mix for 300s.I prefer superlube on 300s.I have noticed if you torque the baffle plate nut too much it will slow the rotor down,but I could break an anvil or you know the monkey and the football story...I have noticed some rotors seem to match up better on one 300 body than another, but I would mark them as a set or which ever body it came with.Who knows what was replaced  on these reels since the 60s? I have also noticed the side plate positioning and torque also has an effect ,but I am a 300 novice compared to others on here.

SirCranksalot

This looks like what I need, I think