3 Way Switch Question

Started by Bill B, December 06, 2022, 10:45:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

Kind of a long story, I have a light fixture over the detached garage and the light is controlled by a 3 way switch in the garage (I pulled the cover plate and confirmed the switch is a three way).  I do have an electrical box in the house that has a 3 way circuit not connected to anything, which is located in a logical place to put a 3 way for the garage fixture.

Now 2 questions:

1. Would the light still work without the second switch?  Assuming the second missing switch is at the end of the circuit.

2. Is the picture below a switch that has 3 way on top and single pole on the bottom? The electrical box in question, already has a single pole switch for a different fixture.

Bill

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

foakes

A 3-way switch requires 3-way wiring (red, black, white —- and is designed to work from a power source that will operate a light fixture from (2) 3-way switch locations.

The red & black are your "traveler" wires between the (2) 3-way switches.  The white is your neutral, the copper is the ground.

A/C power is not like DC power. A/C either works —- or it doesn't.

Problems arise when wire colors are mixed up, capped off, or not proper.  Maybe it will work —- but when you need to get into the box 30 years from now —- you will have forgotten how things were short-cutted and made to work.  Or, even a subsequent future owner of your house.

Then, there is a insurance and liability issue even decades down the road —- if the work was not done according to accepted electrical codes.  And a potential life-threatening or property damage issue happens.

I am not comfortable giving electrical advice without being on the job-site hands on.

Probably best to just have a licensed electrician come out and  install a couple of 3-ways, proper gauge wiring, and check the light these operate.

Might be a $150 - $200 job plus a few bucks in parts.

Good piece of mind, complete, and safe.

Yes, anything can be done —- but with electrical A/C —- there is the right way and no other, IMO, Bill.

I have seen too many homes destroyed by improper wiring.  Been on a few of those incidents with the Fire Department.

Best Always, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Bill B

Thank you Fred.

I did find out that the switch above is 3 way on top and single pole on the bottom.  Now I need to trace the wires in the box back to the source.
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Wally15

Quote from: Bill B on December 07, 2022, 01:51:11 AMThank you Fred.

I did find out that the switch above is 3 way on top and single pole on the bottom.  Now I need to trace the wires in the box back to the source.
An easy way to tell them apart; the 2 way has OFF-ON stamped on the toggle and the 3 way doesn't have anything.
GA Mike - who thinks AC/DC is a Rock 'n Roll band
Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground.
"Fire and Rain"
James Taylor

oldmanjoe

This may help you.
https://www.easy-do-it-yourself-home-improvements.com/3-way-switch-wiring-diagram.html

You did not give enough information to give you a honest answer .   Pay attention to were you power is coming from ...
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Shellbelly

A tone generator is a handy tool.  Costs anywhere from 15 to 50 bucks.  Helps identify isolated circuit wiring and is great for finding wire in walls.  Saves you from running back and forth to hear your meter beep. 

Safety first!  Since I didn't wire my house, I turn off the main breaker (isolate solar, too) and use battery task lighting.  Even though I'm from the trade, I'll hire an Electrician for anything beyond simple stuff.  I did the time without getting popped.  No need to risk it now on my time. 

In many electrical-related injuries, it's the "kneejerk" reaction that causes unfortunate injury. 
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)