DAM quicks vs newer reels

Started by Barishi, November 21, 2022, 09:59:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barishi

How will the DAM reels of different series (Champion, Finessa) stand up against today's 200-300 dollar reels? How will they handle braid?

foakes

They will be uglier, last longer, perform as well or better & cost 1/3 the price.

While these were designed for mono —- most will handle braid with no issues.  The line guide is tungsten carbide.

If using very thin braid —- sometimes the line lay may need to be adjusted with under-spool shims —- but that is easily done.

Just depends on what you want for a line retrieval device (definition of a reel) on the South end of your rod —- and how much you want to spend.

Best, Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

jgp12000

Fred, my memory fails me, are the DQ spools plastic or aluminum? Personally I rather have 2-3 DQs over the modern reels?

Barishi

This is probably a highly dumb question, but can the asbestos washers cause health issues? I don't want to take any risks. I know the older guys got a (un)healthy dose of it long ago, but I'm not born in that generation.

If so, could you replace the drag on the reels that do with carbon fiber without damaging it?

Rivverrat

Barishi, my thoughts are as long as you don't eat or sand them into dust & pack your nostrils with asbestos dust from the washers ... You have very little if anything to be concerned with... Jeff

Balvar24

Quote from: Barishi on November 21, 2022, 05:01:22 PMThis is probably a highly dumb question, but can the asbestos washers cause health issues? I don't want to take any risks. I know the older guys got a (un)healthy dose of it long ago, but I'm not born in that generation.

Just avoid taking them internally.

foakes

Quote from: jgp12000 on November 21, 2022, 04:36:55 PMFred, my memory fails me, are the DQ spools plastic or aluminum? Personally I rather have 2-3 DQs over the modern reels?

Earlier series like the 250, SW68, 270, 265, 240, 245, 280, 285 are aluminum

110 - 550 series are plastic

110N 550N are plastic

'00 series 1000 - 5000 is skirted spool aluminum

'01 series 1001 - 5001 is skirted aluminum

1202, 2002, 3002 have skirted graphite petticoat spools

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.