How can I make this right?

Started by wailua boy, November 28, 2022, 04:42:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wailua boy

I picked this reel up recently and the anti reverse doesn't seem to engage. How can I make this right? It's a Penn 9500. Thanks

wailua boy

JasonGotaProblem

Amateur impressions: Your silent AR is switched off, and probably too gummy to move as it needs to when switched on. The bar that prevents both from being engaged simultaneously (why penn, why?) Is probably stuck, preventing the click dog from engaging.

Needs a good clean-n-lube.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

handi2

I make both of them silent.

This way both of them are always on.

But Jason is right they just need some attention

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

wailua boy

Thanks for comments. The upper eccentric is frozen in place. How can I safely remove this to clean?

JasonGotaProblem

I assume you unscrewed from the bottom already. It doesn't turn at all or it just won't come out? I'm thinking PB blaster and patience. I removed both eccentrics, its just full time double dogged. Also 16 tooth, but that's a story for a different day.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Squidder Bidder

+1 - heard about PB Blaster here and its the best off-the-shelf penetrating oil I've run across.

pointbob

Quote from: wailua boy on November 30, 2022, 12:01:41 AMThanks for comments. The upper eccentric is frozen in place. How can I safely remove this to clean?

sort of off topic but why does it say firearms group under you profile name. i thought this was a fishing site?
Patience comes to those who wait

Midway Tommy

Quote from: pointbob on November 30, 2022, 01:48:25 AM
Quote from: wailua boy on November 30, 2022, 12:01:41 AMThanks for comments. The upper eccentric is frozen in place. How can I safely remove this to clean?

sort of off topic but why does it say firearms group under you profile name. i thought this was a fishing site?

There's also a firearms group here. You need to contact Alan to get more info on how to be accepted into it.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)