Vintage ultra lite

Started by sharkman, November 27, 2022, 07:12:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: philaroman on November 28, 2022, 09:12:39 PMAND!!!
does it have a main-gear support that goes into the sideplate FROM THE OUTSIDE???
Spirex 500 has a ball-bearing; cheaper 1-BB 500's have a nylon bushing
I suspect MLZ-10 & Mark UL have a brass bushing
The single disk drag sits under the spool and appears keyed to the spool shaft. Kind of a strange setup, I wanna say similar to the so-called slammer drag on some penns, and I'd probably consider it a negative on anything larger. I'll take a pic.
I know that below the non handle side cover theres a flathead screw, I'll see where it goes.

I'll start a new thread i don't wanna derail this one.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

sharkman

Midway Tommy

One other note, while you can probably get by with a non-worm gear driven UL, I wouldn't waste my time or money one. Get a worm gear driven UL and it will land bigger fish if you by chance hook into one and will also more than likely out last you and can be handed down to one of you kids or grandkids.  ;)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

thorhammer

Also- Zebco 6010 or 6020, MIJ. Very overlooked but operationally very similar to Daiwa and Olympic of the time period. All aluminum with BB's. Still fishing them 40 years later. Fred fixed up my 6050 after my buddy BACKED OVER IT WITH A CAPRICE CLASSIC...just new shaft and handle and it's back fishing

JasonGotaProblem

I'll say this though, I would bet my bottom dollar that the SS700 would out-cast every other option listed.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

foakes

Quote from: Midway Tommy on November 29, 2022, 08:29:07 PMOne other note, while you can probably get by with a non-worm gear driven UL, I wouldn't waste my time or money one. Get a worm gear driven UL and it will land bigger fish if you by chance hook into one and will also more than likely out last you and can be handed down to one of you kids or grandkids.  ;)

Tom is exactly right —-

An aluminum-bodied, steel & bronze geared worm-drive would be my only choice if I could have only one. 

Pretend you are buying it for your grandchildren —- because you are...

Cardinal 3, Penn 716, 716Z, 420SS, DAM Quick 265, 110, 110N, 1000, 1001.

The least expensive tool is the one you only buy once.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

jgp12000

I have some of the ultra lights listed,but my favorites not in any order are:

Penn 716(Greenie),Cardinal 3,DQ 265,& Mitchell 308.I have mine mounted on Fenwick Eagle 6.5' Fast action, or an Ugly Stik Lite 5'(all 1pc)
I have to share my favorite crappie jigs while we are on the subject:

https://lftlures.com/collections/lft-sickle-tail-baby-shad/products/2600-802
I have personally caught Crappie,Bass,Bream,& 1 catfish on this jig.

Jiffy Jigs(1/16 Chartreuse head,gold hook)
(Popsicle,Wildcat,& John Deere Green colors)

Crappie Magnet
(Blk/Chart)
PB 6lb Bass

JP

Bryan Young

Cheap, I don't know, buy I would spend my money on a good quality Penn 716Z or 420SS or those nice Dam Microltes.  They have been unparalleled in quality and will definitely outlive me.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

DougK

Quote from: Midway Tommy on November 29, 2022, 08:29:07 PMOne other note, while you can probably get by with a non-worm gear driven UL, I wouldn't waste my time or money one. Get a worm gear driven UL and it will land bigger fish if you by chance hook into one and will also more than likely out last you and can be handed down to one of you kids or grandkids.  ;)

counterpoint - my Mitchell 308 is non-worm gear, 50 years old, fished weekly or more often for most of those 50 years, mainly lure fishing with constant cast/retrieve. Carp to 15lb, catfish to 25lb, trout to 10lb (only once I confess but still ;-) 10lb leervis (saltwater predator), 5-6lb bluefish.. and still running great. A Mitchell made in France is inexpensive, easy to find, and parts are still available. Or just buy two, one for backup and/or parts. Two Mitchells will be less than half the price of one Cardinal..

DAM Quick 110 is great too. The 1001 is a fine reel but relatively scarce and pricey.
Cardinals are fine but overpriced in my opinion, the DAM and Shakespeare 2052 are excellent at much lower cost.

jgp12000

DougK,
I know drag setting has a lot to do with landing big fish on ultralights,just curious what line you use for them biguns? I primarily use 8lb trilene big game(green)it can handle most all freshwater fish I might encounter.I prefer 4-6 stren(clear) for panfish and castability for small jigs.These lines seem to have less memory.

DougK

4-6lb Maxima Green, 4 on the shallow spool, 6 on the deep one. Once made the mistake of fishing the 4lb spool for carp, hooked a 12lb fish and it stopped with 3 turns of line left on the spool.. got the full 110 yards out.. and took a while after that too. The big catfish was on 6lb, luckily in a river so he couldn't get too far away.

Paul Roberts

A couple additions:
Shakespeare 2400 convertible
Shakespeare Sigma 2200 030