Vintage ultra lite

Started by sharkman, November 27, 2022, 07:12:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharkman

Just moved to area with fresh water fishing. Looking for suggestions on vintage spinning reels for crappie fishing. Looking for inexpensive ideas because still mainly saltwater fish.

philaroman

give a bit more info:
braid or mono?   shorter rod for casting, or long "universal" jig pole?
just crappie, or occasional bass w/ some size?  ...often enough to upsize a bit?

sharkman

Mono. Shorter rod for casting. Maybe bass but primarily just crappie.

philaroman

get the later, less-desirable, cheaper(?) version of smallest maroon Shakes
really nice "below the waist"...  plastic spool and crappy
plastic spool-cam, should be plenty strong enough for crappie  ;D
if you fall in love, get the less common earlier version w/ metal cam
(verify w/ Fred, Tom, et al  that all/enough parts are interchangeable)

Gfish

Good choice. Try'n make sure if ya can, that the "plastic spool cam" ain't busted. Supposedly many are from too much drag torque.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

PacRat

The quickest way to get set up right is to reach out to Fred Oakes. He will set you up with a like-new (Fred's 'like-news' are actually better than new).

Or if you're frugal and like the quest (like many of us do); take a look at some of theses: DAM Quick 265, 110, 1000, 1001. Shakespeare 2052 (try to avoid the plastic click gear). Cardinal 3 or C3 (C3 has a skirted spool). Penn 716Z, Penn 420, 430. All of these will have parts available here and/or on ebay. They are also worm-drives. There are a few others that might deserve mention but parts will be a little more difficult to come by. Read about these here, then keep your eyes peeled at flea markets, garage sales, and pawn shops.

The Mitchell Garcia 308 and 408 are nice also but some people find them a little harder to tune properly.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of these once it's cleaned and dialed-in.

Mike

Midway Tommy

While there are a few nice '60s - '80s vintage ultra light open face spinners, quality and maintenance wise, it's hard to beat an ABU or Zebco Cardinal 3 or a black ABU Garcia skirted spool Cardinal 3 or C3. All are smooth and well balanced. They can be a little pricey now and then but they're well worth the little extra you might spend. You might wear some paint off, but they're so well made I doubt you would ever wear one out.  ;)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

JasonGotaProblem

Daiwa SS700 (first released in 86 but still made today)
Or the much less common SS600 if the search is half the fun.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

happyhooker

All the above stated options are worth exploring.  For a few others that may be a bit less desirable but still quality reels at usually rock-bottom prices, take a look at the Cardinal 653 (mostly metal; I've found mine to be an excellent caster), Shimano MLX 10 (an early Shimano spinning entry w/ mostly metal construction) and Shakespeare 2200 II (one of Shaky's early Asian-built units, but has some nice features).  These are all UL-type reels.

Frank

sharkman

Thank you everyone for replies. I will start looking for some of the reels noted above.

handi2

I'm trying to find the tiny Shimano silver all metal spinning reel that was on my work table.

It would fit in the palm of your hand

I can send you this little Mitchell 308 or a 309 left hand. It was made for little fresh water fishing

Just pay for Priority Mail Shipping please
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: handi2 on November 28, 2022, 08:13:56 PMI'm trying to find the tiny Shimano silver all metal spinning reel that was on my work table.

The MLZ 10? You sent it to me.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

handi2

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on November 28, 2022, 08:30:17 PM
Quote from: handi2 on November 28, 2022, 08:13:56 PMI'm trying to find the tiny Shimano silver all metal spinning reel that was on my work table.

I'm glad you have it. I thought I was losing my mind!!

Can you post a picture?
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

philaroman

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on November 28, 2022, 08:30:17 PM

either of you, Gentlemen...
does the 10 have that stupid horrible diskless drag like MLX/MLZ bigger sizes
or normal 2-stack like later 500-size graphite versions?
i.e., top-to-bottom:
plain knob
keyed steel washer
drag washer
eared steel washer
HUGE spring
spool

philaroman

AND!!!
does it have a main-gear support that goes into the sideplate FROM THE OUTSIDE???
Spirex 500 has a ball-bearing; cheaper 1-BB 500's have a nylon bushing
I suspect MLZ-10 & Mark UL have a brass bushing