Opinions on Exceler BG 6500T reel-UPDATE

Started by Hankzudd, July 07, 2023, 09:55:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hankzudd

seeking info on this model, couldn't find anything; called Daiwa & the rep. i spoke to almost
acted like they never heard of it. I know it's an older model and support is probably non-existent sometimes, but just looking to find out how good it would be for my offshore needs;
would be running 50lb or so braid for Gulf of Mehico fishing around oil rigs/ships.

how similar is this model to the BG 6500 sold now?  anybody have a line on parts? 

as always, thanks in advance

Got the reel today, turned out to be a turd, as i was dreading, but at least the guy accepts returns; bail would not close when turning
handle, handle would not come off (didn't want to break it) and no parts available, so back it goes.

now looking for Slammer III or Battle III.

Porthos

Okay, two days without a reply, so I'll bite...

If you called Daiwa USA, the received response is expected since an Exceler 6500T is NOT one for the current US market...only goes up to the 4000D-C. From pics on eBay, it has external attributes that appear to be a "silver" precursor version of the black and gold BG 6500. So, if I came into possession of one, I would open it up and determine if it has guts similar to the black and gold BG 6500, and you can use this as a guide: https://www.alanhawk.com/reviews/bg16.html. I fish my 2016 black and gold BG 6500 as a 40lb reel with 50 braid main to a 40lb top shot, so if the guts of the Exceler 6500T have enough similarities (especially if the body is metal and not graphite), would do the same.

If the guts have noticeable structural and mechanical differences, then the fact that the Exceler is now at a lower price point than the BG 6500 implies a "lesser" reel and would error on the side of caution...a 30lb max reel with 40lb braid main to a 30lb top shot.

Either way, with the reel opened up as far as you feel comfortable with, give it the Alan Tani "marine grease-it-up-the-guts" and "Cal's-on-CF-washers" pre-service maintenance. If the line roller has actual ball bearings, then grease and fish, but maintain often; if on bushing(s), still grease up and fish, but the bushing(s) would alleviate needing the more frequent maintenance that ball bearings would require.

After fishing at 30lb, can make a determination if it can bump up to a 40lb setup or needs downgrade to a 25lb setup. This would be the course of action I'd follow given the lack of detailed info as you have discovered. Would not expect a reliable source of parts even with Daiwa either given the reel's age and its apparent short time on market (compared to the BG 6500). Would recommend perusing eBay and Craiglist for a complete good condition but cheap unit as a parts reel if you have intentions of fishing it long term.

YMMV...good luck.

Hankzudd

thanks for the input; from various places, i gather the exceler 6500 was a Chinese short-lived model; hopefully it will prove to be reliable, for the intended use.

i used to learn about buying cheap guns the hard way(similar to this transaction);

yea, inexpensive, but no parts available & if i'da spent just a bit more i would have gotten what i really was looking for. 

thanks again; i'll let you know what's inside & how much drag i can crank on this thing (when i get it)