tld 20/25

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 05:11:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike ferdinands and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

alantani

i have seen photos of the ocean master reels but have never opened one up.  i'll bet they are just copies.  most people will not service a reel themselves.  you have a very small minority here on this board.  most people only notice a reel when there is a problem. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

fortyeight

Alan, Brian,

Great read, thanks for all the info.

Do you have a website where you sell these upgrades, bearings, handles? I've got 4 old 25's that all need help. Mainly the pinion bearings. 

Another thing is this preset knob. Are you able to tighten it all the way down? None of my reels will allow that. What does the preset mean? I don't understand how it's meant to work.

fortyeight

Has there been a better anti reverse gear made for any of these reels? I wish they had less spin back. 

Rothmar2

It's possible to double dog the TLD's with alternating dogs to reduce the backplay.....

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=7815.0

alantani

not easily.  there is not alot of extra room in the side plate.   :-\

Rothmar2

Quote from: alantani on May 18, 2014, 04:49:51 AM
not easily.  there is not alot of extra room in the side plate.   :-\

I agree Alan, it is not "easy" compared to doing this on a Senator. But certainly possible for someone with some basic machining skills. During our off season down here, I am planning on double dogging a heap of TLD's of various sizes for myself and others. I was also going to post how I did them as well, if people are interested. It will be similar method as that in the TLD 5 mod.

erikpowell

Nice work Rothmar, I'd be interested to see how the double dog TLD 20/25 goes for you.  8)
I've had that on my bucket list for awhile now.
Keep up the good work, and Thanks for sharing!
Vinaka

alantani

i know that these are very popular reels, but they still remain the most costly reels to upgrade properly.  my handle is $43 and other cost the same, and the stock handle has to be replaced. the carbontex drag is $19 and is also a near mandatory upgrade.  then add my charge of $40 to do a full service on the reel and you are instantly over $100. something to take into account when you look at this reel for possible purchase.   :-\

fortyeight

I've got a ways to go before I get my reels up to date.

Thanks for all the help. 

handi2

Just to verify that the Ocean Master reels sold under Offshore Angler are in fact "almost" the same reel. The lever shaft body is plain old steel instead of bronze as found on the TLD.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Settin_hooks

I just picked up one of these tld25's a couple days ago.  Of course I knew exactly where to come to beef them up but I must say I'm impressed with the detail given in this write up! 

I am completely new to conventional reels but I do service my spinners, so I am some what confident in doing the upgrades with the help from Alan's write up.  Not sure I want to though lol. I'm seeing that it's pretty important to get into these reels early to prevent problems in the future, would you guys recommend I either send it in or attempt it myself right out of the box?  I'm completely green when it comes to these things, I was thinking maybe I should learn to catch a few fish with it first?  What are your thoughts?

pachedu

G'Day Alan,
there seems to be some controversy on whether the drag washer should be tagged to stop it spinning against the housing.
Is this an issue or not?
If it is a problem what if we go the way of Daiwa Saltist and contact adhesive the carbontex washer to the housing. This can be easily stripped off later if we need to change it but would stop the rotation.
What is your expert opinion on this?
I have just rebuilt my TLD 25
in Australia these are extremely common both with charters and mid size recreational fishermanall ex Malaysia and dry.
Pretty happy with the rebuild but will need to go back in to do the masking tape thingy or get an upgrade kit from you.
Whats the cost on new handle plus washers.
Can I buy some spacers and Bellville washers to share amongst a few friends here
Thanks for a great site.
Using your photos I have also serviced my late fathers jigmaster 500 from the 60's.
Be well
Andy 

alantani

guys, i have still not caught up with pm's, but i'm trying.  an e-mail is ok, too.  get me your address and let me know what you need and i will send them out. 

Rothmar2

Pachedu

These guys have a good supply of bellevilles and other little bits and pieces for reels. They are located in Qld.

http://www.smallparts.com.au/

They may not always have every last little thing in stock, but they always get it in for you.
Prices aren't too bad either. Cheaper than buying the parts from Reel part suppliers in Australia, who are taking us all for a ride.

pachedu

Thanks Rothmar,
They are not far from me.
I didn't realise they had spares I thought they were only into micro bearings.
This could be a real winner.
Have a great weekend
Andy