Tiagra TI 130 stripped bolt

Started by retiredandfishing, December 07, 2022, 06:25:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retiredandfishing

Have a TI 130 in the shop.  One of the 6 bolts that hold the Drag plate on is stripped.  Anyone know of a place I could send it to for a heli coil and what size and thread the bolt is?  If I can find the info on the bolt I may be able to get the heli coil put in around here where I live.  I don't have a bench press large enough to drill out the hole so I'll have to get that done somewhere as I know it will have to be a very straight hole and I don't want to try it with a hand drill. 

One additional question, this is an older TI 130 not the TI 130A.  On it's schematic it shows the drag plate and it's 6 bolts as an assembly, the new TI 130A splits that out so you can order either bolts or the plates.  Would anyone know if the TI130A drag plate bolts fit the older TI 130?

Thanks, Steve

alantani

if it's a small screw hole, it is possible that a copper shim might work.  your local hobby shop should have copper sheets.  cut a strip and slide it into the hole with a small tab sticking out to the side, then slowly run the screw in and see if it bites.

not sure about parts for the 130's.  i've never worked on one.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

boon

Won't copper go absolutely mad with electrolysis if any salt gets in there?

Suspect a helicoil is not going to be a winning strategy, I'd be looking at options for a similar fastener in one thread size larger and drilling+tapping out the hole to the next size.

handi2

Are you referring to the carbon drag disc or the metal pressure plate?

They are very small screws.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

alantani

Quote from: boon on December 08, 2022, 10:58:33 PMWon't copper go absolutely mad with electrolysis if any salt gets in there?

it would, but enough grease would prevent that. 

retiredandfishing

I ended up shimming this as Alan suggested.  Worked fine. Thanks Alan.

alantani