General Dam Quick Questions on the 330N, 441N, 550N series. Bail engagement

Started by Fishgolfman, December 09, 2022, 02:46:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishgolfman

First of all. Shout out to Fred for my DAM Quick parts order.
 Many drags and parts to replace. Before i tackle bail spring replacement. I have a few reels that upon reeling the bail will not flip over. Spring seems fine. Any pointers? Is there an item on the rotor that engages flipping the bail over?

Fishgolfman

One must check the rotor, plunger system and bail "trueness". The 550n rotor is bent making the bail system alignment off. Solved with an exchanged 550n rotor. The 441
N plunger system spring, slide(gummy) and bail wire spring were bad. Replacement and cleaning. Solved the 441N. The 331N system bail needed rebending, and bail plunger lock cleaning and lube.

foakes

Quote from: Fishgolfman on January 06, 2023, 01:50:04 AMOne must check the rotor, plunger system and bail "trueness". The 550n rotor is bent making the bail system alignment off. Solved with an exchanged 550n rotor. The 441
N plunger system spring, slide(gummy) and bail wire spring were bad. Replacement and cleaning. Solved the 441N. The 331N system bail needed rebending, and bail plunger lock cleaning and lube.

That is how you do it, Stephen —-

90% of eBay or yard sale quality vintage spinning reel issues can be traced back to tweaked exterior parts (bail, bail mount, crank, etc.).

Along with poor/no maintenance, rust, salt damage, or just hardened grease.

On quality reels —-  Not the newer Tupperware Marvels coming out of Asia.

Once you understand how they are supposed to work —- you can fix almost any issue easily.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

handi2

Right on!

I might change one bail spring in 2 years. It's almost always just a bent bail wire.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL