Daiwa high visibility 16 strand hollow core

Started by MexicanGulf, April 05, 2024, 10:13:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MexicanGulf

Daiwa high visibility 16 strand hollow core, Could anyone provide feedback on this hollow core braid ?

day0ne

It's J-Braid and J-braid has always been good to me.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

alantani

braid is just backing.  at the end of the day, all it has to do is just not break.  after that, you have to choose your colors, it has to be easy to splice, and it has to be affordable. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

MexicanGulf

Quote from: alantani on April 06, 2024, 05:24:49 AMbraid is just backing.  at the end of the day, all it has to do is just not break.  after that, you have to choose your colors, it has to be easy to splice, and it has to be affordable. 

For the fishing technique I have to practice it is excellent, the fact that it is marked every 25 meters is what I was looking for. Unfortunately, however, we often hear that a certain braid, nylon, hollow core, fluorocarbon... is factory defective or has some problem. This is why I ask for feedback before trying something different from products I already use. You are a precious resource for me, each with their own wealth of experience.

alantani

failures from the major brands of braid are very rare.  stick with a major brand and you should be fine!!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Donnyboat

I find 16 strand, has a finer fiber diameter, Some that I have purchased for example, 60Lbs the diametre is o.29 of a mm, that means there it less restriction through the water specialy if your fishing side on to the current, if  you have a bit of 4 strand, place it next to the 16 strand, it will be much finer  smoother, good luck cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

MexicanGulf

Quote from: Donnyboat on April 07, 2024, 09:31:17 AMI find 16 strand, has a finer fiber diameter, Some that I have purchased for example, 60Lbs the diametre is o.29 of a mm, that means there it less restriction through the water specialy if your fishing side on to the current, if  you have a bit of 4 strand, place it next to the 16 strand, it will be much finer  smoother, good luck cheers Don.

Thanks Don

MexicanGulf

I forgot one thing, I am aware of the fact that the braids put on the market by Daiwa are actually produced by a secondary company, YGK.

boon

I have it on 2 reels. It is relatively easy to splice and seems strong. I would say it breaks considerably over the rating, I have broken 100lb leader pulling on the "80lb" braid. It is quite thick and stiff compared to other hollowcore braids I have used; I think this is partly due to the coating on it.

MexicanGulf

Quote from: boon on April 07, 2024, 10:49:59 PMI have it on 2 reels. It is relatively easy to splice and seems strong. I would say it breaks considerably over the rating, I have broken 100lb leader pulling on the "80lb" braid. It is quite thick and stiff compared to other hollowcore braids I have used; I think this is partly due to the coating on it.

where do you buy it? It appears to be on sale only in Australia and New Zealand.

boon

Bryan Young

I believe Daiwa was the very first company that was in the braid business for this type of Dyneema braid. Before I moved to Japan, my friends took me fishing and all their reels used Daiwa braid. This was over 35 years ago. Daiwa braid had the highest quality, consistency, smoothness,...   I have Daiwa metered braid on my twin drag Shimano reel of same vintage (before they came out with Stella's) and I still fish it today without any failure. Still smooth, consistent, soft,... braid as when it was first placed on the reel. Personally, I'd pick Daiwa over most other braids out there today with a few exceptions that are made in USA.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D