Spooling braid onto a reel

Started by alantani, December 09, 2022, 06:44:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lunker Larry

Don't do this

DCFAB3FD-8495-4B66-A8DF-D73CC9F11133.jpegE95F6AD1-C41F-46F0-907C-E1BDFB7CD03B.jpeg 
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

Dominick

Nice pattern Larry.   ;D  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

alantani

seen that plenty of times before!!! ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

boon

What breaking strain is that grey braid... 100lb? Seems deeply inappropriate for a baitcaster.

JasonGotaProblem

Yeah I've seen that a few times on used reels. There's a reason I don't ever trust line on a reel when i buy it. Despite how many people seem to think it adds to the sale value to get it spooled before they sell it.

...or its BS and the line is 5 years old but they think it adds to the value to lie.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

alantani

sometimes you've just gotta use what you've got!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Lunker Larry

Quote from: boon on March 23, 2023, 11:38:26 AMWhat breaking strain is that grey braid... 100lb? Seems deeply inappropriate for a baitcaster.
Muskie guys use 80 to 100lb
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

UKChris1

Just a thought for those of us who don't have access to a line spooling machine...

My way is to wind the (braided) line off the bulk spool onto the target reel under moderate tension till the reel is full. I know... I know...
Then, set the drag of the reel to a point where the braid can be pulled off without digging in too much (it will dig in a bit).
Now wind the line onto a second reel. This will load that second reel quite hard.
Next, set the drag on the second (donor) reel to something close to the strike drag of your target reel.
Finally, wind the line off the donor reel onto your target reel. This will give your winding arm a real workout but will pack your line rock solid. It also will leave enough room for a topshot to be put on as well.

As an example, I load my Tiagra 50W with 500 metres of 130lb packed hard in this way and top off with about 150 metres of 80lb mono. till the line level looks right. The donor reel is an old Everol 12/0 and has a very smooth drag.

scrinch

Quote from: UKChris1 on March 24, 2023, 03:31:29 PMJust a thought for those of us who don't have access to a line spooling machine...

My way is to wind the (braided) line off the bulk spool onto the target reel under moderate tension till the reel is full. I know... I know...
Then, set the drag of the reel to a point where the braid can be pulled off without digging in too much (it will dig in a bit).
Now wind the line onto a second reel. This will load that second reel quite hard.
Next, set the drag on the second (donor) reel to something close to the strike drag of your target reel.
Finally, wind the line off the donor reel onto your target reel. This will give your winding arm a real workout but will pack your line rock solid. It also will leave enough room for a topshot to be put on as well.

Using this method, how do you hold the reels as you transfer the line? Is one in a vise and the other on a rod in your hands, or are they both fixed somehow to a bench/table?

UKChris1

Good question - and perhaps I should have expanded on this  :( .

In essence, I clamp both reels onto a solid wooden pole (off-cut from a large diameter curtain pole) about three feet apart using the reel clamps and then clamp the pole securely in a mobile workbench (Black & Decker Workmate). I guess any sturdy bench would do, provided you have some sturdy G-cramps to hold the pole solidly in place.

Under the tight tensions involved there is a tendence for the reels to work loose and to dig into the wooden pole a bit. I started with a broom handle originally but it wasn't sturdy enough (though it would probably be ok for lighter lines)

Having the reels clamped means you can walk away for ten minutes when cramp strikes.

By the time I'd done three Tiagra 50Ws for a marlin trip last year, my forearms were like Popeye's!

steelfish

Quote from: UKChris1 on March 24, 2023, 03:31:29 PMJust a thought for those of us who don't have access to a line spooling machine...
........This will load that second reel quite hard.
Finally, wind the line off the donor reel onto your target reel........

been there done that

Quote from: scrinch on March 24, 2023, 05:57:00 PMUsing this method, how do you hold the reels as you transfer the line?

my method, I have two 2-pc rods that I bought pretty cheap of the local fleamarket because they were missing the top half, so, I inserted one rod inside the other with the reelseats facing each other.. then used the method explained by  UKChrist1

Donor reel penn 6/0
spooling ree  trini 16
The Baja Guy

Gfish

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

MexicanGulf

I'm afraid to fill the reel after this reading.

Hardy Boy

Quote from: MexicanGulf on March 30, 2023, 02:12:12 PMI'm afraid to fill the reel after this reading.

Just put it on with a good amount of tension and your be fine. I think some spool with none,

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Donnyboat

I dont have the luchery of a line winder, only been using my left hand for tension, I try to build the braid up on the side a little, & as the spool is almost full, then I allow it to fill the centre, that way if I get a large fish on, it will wind on in the centre, by its self, about the last 60 M, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat