A Couple of Serious 2062's

Started by Paul Roberts, December 14, 2022, 01:45:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Roberts

Obviously, I don't mind customizing reels. Again, if it didn't destroy some historical significance and/or value. And to each their own as far as aesthetics. I do have my own likes and dislikes.

The esp like the wrinkle finish. Always have. And it's durable, esp when heated I've read. I don't have an oven available like Fred has done. So I've used a heat gun. Don't know how that'll pan out over time.

I did a Pflueger Nobby recently using metallic Rustoleum. I'm guessing it won't hold up terribly well. Although a while back I Rustoleum'd a spinner  and it held up surprisingly well.

Greg, nothing like manual bail closure for sneak fishing. Been there once or twice, once upon a time. And thanks so much for the parts offer. I've been threatening to send Fred a list but just haven't got round to it. I need so little, really. Kindof waiting til I have a worthwhile list.

CincyDavid

I look at this the same way I look at customizing classic cars. They are only original once.  So, I hate to see a nice clean original car modified, but if modifying and customizing an old beater saves it from the crusher and gives the owner pleasure, why not?

Midway Tommy

Oh, I agree, beauty and functionality is all in the eyes of the beholder, I've just never been a fan of the dull wrinkled or textured paint concept on reels, or cars, but if it trips one's trigger good for them. If I was buying something use, though, that would be my last option.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Paul Roberts

Before Abu's Ambassadeur 5000 was released in the US, it was introduced at the 1954 World's Fair in Chicago. Three reels were displayed, one each in dark green, gold, and cranberry red. The public was to vote for the color it liked best. When the votes were tallied, green was the winner. But Abu's then owner Gote Borgstrom liked red, and so started the then "red reel" craze. The 5000 was the reel to have, light years ahead of all other casting reels, red or otherwise.

CincyDavid

Popular voting and "focus groups" created all sorts of abominations, most notably the Pontiac Aztek.  Sometimes a dictator just has to make the call and be done with it. If the boss wants red, red it is.
https://blog.codinghorror.com/the-pontiac-aztek-and-the-perils-of-design-by-committee/

Paul Roberts

jgp12000

I prefer original paint color when available, but if a reel is missing a lot of paint(after it's made functional) they are good candidates for powder coating.

Shellbelly

I've seen both tasteful and wild modifications.  Some of each have been good.  If I'm going to use a reel, I don't want to worry about the finish.  I'm not going to neglect it, but sometimes things get a little rough.  If it's a keepsake, I'd prefer the original finish first, then maybe a pinstripe to personalize it.

Regarding the sounds these classics make, I think it's part of their charm....like a Model A or a Poppin' Johnny tractor....or a screamin' Telecaster, each have unique sounds.  Consider it positive feedback. 8) 
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Shellbelly on January 23, 2023, 12:21:27 AMRegarding the sounds these classics make, I think it's part of their charm....like a Model A or a Poppin' Johnny tractor....or a screamin' Telecaster, each have unique sounds.  Consider it positive feedback. 8)

I'm with you, if my reel is too quiet I'm wondering what is wrong with it?   :fish  ;D
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Paul Roberts

Quote from: Gfish on January 19, 2023, 08:02:12 PMI've had 3 of these, Paul. They all make that sound. All mostly metal spinners do, these are just a little louder. Since I'm no longer a kid sneaking into private ponds and such, it doesn't bother me.
I see what you mean now. These do close... like a guillotine! Like you could lose fingers if you weren't careful! Such a nice functioning reel I think I can put up with it. Might look into quieting that though.

DougK

wha-clunk !
now I know my bail has closed firmly and definitely ;-)

plan to fish tonight with a 2052 on a new-to-me split cane spinning rod, South Bend 469..
I have a 2062 not yet refurbished, might try that next.

Paul Roberts

Oh yes... I got to use one of my Stealth 2062's. Ka-Chunk!

Doug, I've never used a cane spinning/casting rod, only fly rods. I've been warming up to vintage rods lately though. Glass, and have been looking at steel (warily) and cane.

sandbar

Nice fish, Paul.

Great to see the "stealth" in action. I like the look.

I'm with you on the old rods. I want to try a Conolon, if I can find one that doesn't need repairs.

-Steve

Paul Roberts

Hi Steve. I'm working on a mid-50's Actionrod with an Actionglas blade. Guess I'll post about it when I'm done. No great shakes. Keeping the nice aged patina it's acquired. Just making it fishable. Nice little rod actually.

Good luck with your Conolon search. They do seem to have a following.

Paul Roberts

19", prob just a smidgen shy of 4lbs.

These 2062's are a joy to fish with: glass smooth, plenty of torque so far (with 8-12lb lines), silent (except for that guillotine bail!). The bail needs a running start not to bind upon closing; Perhaps I can adjust that, without making it too weak. And it closes with a vengeance! It almost conjures visions of severed fingers lying on the boat floor! I've added a thin leather bail stop to meet the... incoming one. The retrieve speed is slow (21") by modern standards, but so far hasn't posed an issue, and may even be a plus in the cold water of early season. I've found high speed retrieves most needed with techniques that call for "baitcasting" rigs anyway. Although, come summer, as the overall pace picks up, I've found myself going to faster spinning reels as well.