Main Menu

Honey

Started by jgp12000, December 23, 2022, 02:12:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pointbob

best honey i ever tasted was macadamia honey from hawaii. incredibly dark and rich.
Patience comes to those who wait

oc1

We have King Palm, Areca Palm and Fishtail Palm honey.  The bees go crazy when they bloom.  I say "we have" but the bees are feral and we seldom find their honey stash.  I've tried capturing swarms and putting them in a hive but it never takes and they leave after a few days.

Keta

Quote from: oc1 on December 24, 2022, 07:26:48 AMI've tried capturing swarms and putting them in a hive but it never takes and they leave after a few days.

Most likely you did not get the queen.  You can buy a queen, screen off the entrance and introduce her to the colony and get it going.  Lots of good info, and some bad, on the internet  and Youtube.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

oc1

Probably so.  The second time I tried there was a wad of bees that I thought must be clustered around the queen.  But, no go.  We are not allowed to import bees but there is a new local group that hopes to be selling queens and nucs.

Keta

Are the islands veroa free?
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

oc1

No, they're here too.  When it's calm there will sometimes be hundreds of dead bees floating on the surface a mile from shore.  That didn't happen a decade or so ago.