Straight Bevel Gears

Started by Paul Roberts, December 25, 2022, 06:33:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Roberts

I picked up this Luxor "A" in great cosmetic condition. But, like the other straight bevel-geared reels I own, it buzzes like an old egg beater! There's not a lot of handle play; She's pretty tight. But the gear teeth buzz pretty loudly.

Some people have called their old Luxor's "smooth". Might they mean "loose"? And I've listened to a couple on Youtube and they all buzz/grind in the same manner. Is this wear? Or inherent in the straight bevel gear design? Ever heard a bevel-gear reel that didn't buzz? (Van Staal excluded.)

Gfish

Prolly almost impossible to tell, but how's the main line-up with the pinion gear.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Paul Roberts

Mesh seems to be ok. These are well made with quality components. Not a whole lot that can get out of line it seems. Steel and bronze. Wear? Or just the old design. Next up was helical meshing.

Gfish

Quote from: Gfish on December 25, 2022, 07:45:08 PMProlly almost impossible to tell, but how's the main line-up with the pinion gear.

I say that cause, once it's together(side-plate to gear body) you can't see if the main needs a shim and(or) if the pinion might. How about the bushings or bearings? Any wiggle in the pinion or main shafts? More'n likely the teeth are worn, though.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Paul Roberts

Could see if there's any place for shimming. I have 4 spinners with straight bevel gearing and all have that rattle. This one's a bit much.