Langley LureCast Revamp

Started by Paul Roberts, December 25, 2022, 06:54:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Roberts

Yeah, a certain percentage of the Langley plastic handle grips are stiff or unmovable. Worthwhile question to ask if you're planning to buy one.

Yes, fine silk was the choice for tournament casting. Not sure when it appeared but it certainly predates nylon. It was used for fishing too, being finer than linen. Both required some post-fishing care.

Sonnett

Silk casting line dates to before 1900, but was too expensive for the average man until the 1920's. Braided nylon was introduced in 1938 but was too "stretchy" to be practical. Though Linen was still used in saltwater fishing after WWII braided nylon ruled the day in freshwater baitcasting until spinning became popular in the early 1950's which popularized mono. The Ambassdeur 5000 is the first casting reel I recall being advertised for use with mono. It was introduced in the USA in 1954. I use only vintage reels and use exclusively braided nylon. Dacron and Spectra lines tend to knife down into the spool causing problems. The popularity of Nylon was due to two factors: one. was that it did not need to be removed from the reel after each use and dryer like silk to prevent rot and two, it wore like iron, unlike silk which wore so badly that most writers advised removing the last 18 inches of line before each fishing trip. Yes I am old and remember the developments after WWII--LOL

Midway Tommy

Interestingly enough, I used 12# braided nylon on my openface spinners up until about 1970 when I got my Cardinal 6. I could never find a decent mono that wouldn't get kinky with memory until Stren. It didn't take long, though, for Trilene XL to surpass Stren. I remember it taking me a little while to get used to the mono stretch. Braided nylon doesn't stretch much so it can be pretty easy to jerk the hook right out of the fish's mouth.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Paul Roberts

Hi, Bill. Thanks for chiming in. Good to hear from you.

Despite a very brief stint with my grandfather's tubular steel telescoping rod, Bronson Mercury (I remember the engraved scene), and black braided nylon, I'm too young to have used braided nylon for anything beyond tip-ups. That is until I got bit by the direct drive bug. Missed the silk and plated horsehair too! I only "know" of them from what I've read.

Tom, I was a bulk spool Trilene user until PE braids came out. Filler spools can make a lot of leaders!

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Paul Roberts on January 09, 2023, 01:52:48 AMTom, I was a bulk spool Trilene user until PE braids came out. Filler spools can make a lot of leaders!

I don't use, or like, the newer PE type braids. I got used to high quality 6 & 8 lb mono and managed my rods accordingly. All my rods now are either fast or extra fast action so I prefer a little stretch in the line. Braids don't give me that stretch so I don't plan on switching any time soon, way too many rods to replace.  ;)  :) 

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

oc1

Less stretch means better sensitivity.

Paul Roberts

Quote from: oc1 on January 10, 2023, 07:52:50 AMLess stretch means better sensitivity.
Yes, at a level unlike any other material. That is, when it's taut. Any slack in those super soft PE braids and it's instant disconnect. The rigidity and weight of monos can add sensitivity even when not being retrieved. Coupled with a super light graphite rod this can be surprising to feel takes/life on a nearly slack line.

I use PE braids on fast rods too. Haven't had any issues to speak of. Hook sets can be a flick of the wrist, or just a raising of the rod. Leaders add some stretch though.

One I like for UL is Gliss in 8lb. Super fine and handles nicely.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: oc1 on January 10, 2023, 07:52:50 AMLess stretch means better sensitivity.

That can be a double edged sword.  Taut mono can be pretty sensitive, too, yet it can be a little forgiving during the process.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Paul Roberts

Got a chance to take this little Lurecast out the back door and down to my (ice covered) pond for a spin. I'm in process of performance testing my entire DD collection in anticipation of the coming fishing season. And to simply see what each one can do. Each has been cleaned down to bare metal, important parts polished mirror bright, proper lubes applied, and then adjusting and tweaking each to see what I can get out of them.

In terms of casting performance, maybe the best way to quantify is the maximum distance I've been able to achieve with each set up. I'm not pitting them against each other, but instead setting them up for fishing, the lines and lure weights tested dependent on the intent for each reel.

This little Lurecast was designed as a "light tackle" reel. It has a narrow spool and weighs a mere 4-1/2oz. I loaded it with 10# PE braid over 10# nylon braid. So far, I've found PE braids to work just fine in my DD reels. Being a light tackle reel I used a 1/4oz weight for the test. And the little reel just bombs! It produced no backlashes and gave a maximum cast of 112ft. Still figuring out just what to expect from such reels, but I was impressed for a 1/4oz weight from a DD reel.

Sonnett

Coxe 94-C Narrow Spool Bait Casting Antique Reel
As long as you are fascinated with extremely light non-free spool reels Paul. you should try a Coxe 94C. It came out in 1949 and was gone in a couple of years. It is so light it is scary--LOL. These early lightweight reels work better for me with a long soft action rod that will load up with a 1/4 or 1/5 oz.

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: Sonnett on February 01, 2023, 02:20:56 AMCoxe 94-C Narrow Spool Bait Casting Antique Reel
As long as you are fascinated with extremely light non-free spool reels Paul. you should try a Coxe 94C. It came out in 1949 and was gone in a couple of years. It is so light it is scary--LOL. These early lightweight reels work better for me with a long soft action rod that will load up with a 1/4 or 1/5 oz.
Is that a wooden spool?
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Paul Roberts

I've got a couple 95C's. Can't quite imagine a narrow version. I built a 6'6" glass rod for my DD reels that handles 1/4 to 1/2oz well.

J, that's a balsa arbor on an aluminum spool.

Sonnett

The 94C is a whole different animal than a 95C! Light in the extreme. Another extremely light reel is the Heddon 25NL Not to be confused with the 25N which is fairly light in itself, When it comes to Langleys I fish the narrow spool Plugcast very often on one rod and one of my Coxe 25N's on the other. The Plugcast cast well and it is not as noisy as the other langleysLangley PlugCast 360 Antique Casting Reel - Fin & Flame

Paul Roberts

DougK

Quote from: Paul Roberts on January 09, 2023, 01:52:48 AMDespite a very brief stint with my grandfather's tubular steel telescoping rod, Bronson Mercury (I remember the engraved scene), and black braided nylon, I'm too young to have used braided nylon for anything beyond tip-ups. That is until I got bit by the direct drive bug. Missed the silk and plated horsehair too! I only "know" of them from what I've read.

I got a bamboo Heddon 200 baitcasting rod from a neighbor. Of course then I needed a Heddon reel to fit on it..
See, https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=27254.0

The 12lb braided dacron (Gudebrod Meatmaster) is a terrific line for this reel, handles and casts very well. It's great fun to fish, pity I don't have much local fishing that can be done with 1/4oz and up lures..

Also have a Shakespeare Tournament casting reel with the braided silk line on it. I keep thinking about fishing it, except that line is 2lb or less breaking strain.. may just spool some new PE braid on top and give it a fling..