Steelhead on my Cardinal 3

Started by Christopher M Songer, January 12, 2023, 11:21:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christopher M Songer

Finished getting two of the Cardinal 3's ready to fish. Paired with a Fenwick 12'6" rod for float fishing. It worked great. Never fished a Cardinal before but I will have one on the river from now on. The rod/reel combo handled those fish well. [1.jpg[/attach][attach id=120183]IMG_6748[1].
Always go forward, never go straight

xjchad

That is a beautiful, fat steelhead!  Congrats!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Gfish

Nice! Where'd you get 'em? Lookin like there's some roe in that Gal.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

thorhammer

Now thats what this is all about. Gorgeous fish!

Midway Tommy

Well done, Chris! I'll bet that was fun!Those Cardinals are very efficient when taken to that type of fishing. Given the right line, drag settings and rod there's not much those Card 3s & 4s can't handle. What size line are you using? 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Hardy Boy

Nice looking SH. You probably have better fishing for them back East then we do here in the Pac NW.

Cheers:

todd
Todd

pointbob

Quote from: Christopher M Songer on January 12, 2023, 11:21:46 PMFinished getting two of the Cardinal 3's ready to fish. Paired with a Fenwick 12'6" rod for float fishing. It worked great. Never fished a Cardinal before but I will have one on the river from now on. The rod/reel combo handled those fish well. 

great fishes Chris! did you use roe to hook em?
Patience comes to those who wait

Christopher M Songer

Using 14lb Sunline, hi viz gold. with 8lb floro leaders. We drifted egg sacs all day. This was the Grand river in Ohio.
Always go forward, never go straight

foakes

Nice going, and solid report, Chris —-

Those Steelhead are hard fighting fish.

That shows what the correct rod and a strong retrieval reel like the Cardinal 3 can do in the hands of an experienced angler.

Nice fish!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

reelrepair123

such great reels those cardinals.    harryk

jgp12000

Gfish

Looked-up the Grand River in Wikipedia. Looks like an Ohio jewel. Only been to Columbus a couple of times. Ya just never know...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!