Hello from Florida

Started by Woodpuppy, December 29, 2022, 10:57:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodpuppy

Greetings & Salamanders!

I'm a Florida boy born and bred. Grew up in the Florida Keys (mm89) and fishing the back country in the 80s. Growing up I had no idea how good I had it. Fast forward (gulp) 40 years and my kids are interested in fishing and I can't tell you how happy that makes me! I'm in Tallahassee now, since '93 and have done some artificial reef and nearshore saltwater fishing and scalloping, but we're trying freshwater now, as a ploy to get them into canoes. Paddlin' is my other love so whenever I can combine them I'll do my best.

I found this site a couple/few months (maybe longer?) back while hunting for parts for a Penn 722 and 714Z. I stumbled into a rebuild thread on I think the 420ss by Sal (May he Rest In Peace) and casually started making bookmarks to great - I mean rally fantastic - resources.

Most of my tackle is geared towards Florida Bay and St. Marks flats fishing, and so heavier action than I really want for FW. Think mackerel and grouper... But I also grew up on 8-lb Ande mono. Well I dug around in the box o' reels and what do we have but a couple of 722s, a 722Z, a 722Z parts reel, and 3 714Zs! One of the 722s was in real bad shape, a split crosswind block and main gear such that the handle wouldn't come off. On this site I found the way to get the handle off and gear out, and in the parts reel I had a near perfect main gear and intact cwb. A few hours, WD40, toothbrush, paper towels, and some fresh lube later and I had a smoothly working 722 greenie! A few days after that and the crosswind block from the parts reel had split and the reel was once again languishing in disrepair... ah well. it looks like Cortez Conversions has my solution. I needed and found on eBay a bail spring and screw for the 714Z and now she's got a new lease on life. And just this month I was weak and bought a 716Z and a 420ssg (oops) off eBay. I say oops on the 420ssg because I missed the made in USA cutoff and didn't realize it didn't retain the same pinion and main gear as the 420/430/4200/4300 ss series. But the 430ssg did? Odd, that. No matter it's on a dock runner now  8)

Now that I've bored everybody to tears, I'll just say I'm glad to have found this site and I've gotta get to reading!

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Hardy Boy

Todd

Benni3

foakes

Welcome aboard, WP!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

JasonGotaProblem

Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Bryan Young

Welcome aboard.  those smaller Penn spinners are great reels.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Breadfan

Gobi King

Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

xjchad

Husband, Father, Fisherman

Donnyboat

Good to have you with us WP, its never boring when some one is talking reels, & welcome from Sunny Western Australia, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

handi2

Welcome from NW Florida where it freezes!

I my family is from Miami and south Florida.

My grandfather would take down to the Everglades to shoot turtles and snakes.

Fun times!
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Brewcrafter

Welcome from the SoCal Inland Empire! - john