Mitchell 302 metal drags

Started by Bill B, December 31, 2022, 01:47:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

I'm working on a couple golden oldie 302's that were my fathers.  They have all metal drag washers.  Do they get grease or reinstall dry?

Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

handi2

Bill I use 5 Penn 6-155 carbon drag washers without any spool clicking parts.

The spool clicker is so tight on these reels I don't use them.

With Cals grease

I can send you some if needed
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Bill B

Keith if I added CF into the drag stack between the keyed metal and eared metal then would I eliminate half the stack? Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

oldmanjoe

If you do use carbon fiber , than you would leave 81- 373   374  375   out of the stack .

I have 2 of these reels also and both are still original stacks ,I do lightly grease them to keep the green stuff down !!
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Gfish

I've played around with my 302 drag stack quite-a-bit. All metal, CF, more CF, then less... what it comes down to is a lot of rearranging and testing. Trying to reason out what might work better and why is a good brain exercise and learning experience. Maybe the CF increases the smoothness a bit and might decrease the long-term wear factor of the metal on metal effect. But these are not sealed drag stacks, so I settled on what's easy to remove and clean after each use in saltwater. 2-CF's close to the bottom of the stack, kept the clicker(keep it well lubed) and I really godda lay it out in order every time to get it back right.
Mine has the under-spool-label that has a the stack arrangement pictured on it.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!