Shimano Bantam's are Still Kickin' It!

Started by Paul Roberts, January 08, 2023, 10:23:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

I love these old Bantams...I use this Mag 50 outfitted with power handle and CF drags for catfishing. Fantastic reels! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

JasonGotaProblem

A friend brought me a first gen (non mag) bantam 100 to service.

I gotta say there was a time when i thought spinners were super easy to work on and baitcasters were basically voodoo. And there was also a time when i thought shimano reels were by definition more complicated internally than their competition.

But this reel was super duper easy to work on, everything felt intuitive, and frankly I didnt take enough pics to make a good post, because everything was so simple I didn't think I needed them.

However the 40 year old drag crumbled when I tried to take it out for cleaning (was it glued to the gear or just really hard grease?) So it got replaced. Carbon drag for a modern abu blackmax was the perfect size. I also drilled in a static mag brake. So now it's secretly a bantam mag.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Paul Roberts

Very cool. I like the static mag idea. Have you tried it out?

I found modern casting reels intimidating at first. One part that took me a bit was the AR dog. Just had to realize what order it had to go in. Clip it to the ratchet first, then lower the ratchet onto the shaft together. I found the Ambassadeur's even easier, having more clearance for the dog.

In general, take pics, have a schematic, proper tools, and a good clear workspace.

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: Paul Roberts on January 26, 2023, 01:08:34 AMVery cool. I like the static mag idea. Have you tried it out?.
Not a proper test targeting fish but my ultra scientific an infallible test for throwing light non-aerodynamic lures (where the mag is your friend) is to tie on an empty pro wrap thread spool and throw that to see how it does. Apples to apples, sort of. And I was throwing the spool about 50' with relative ease.

Paul Roberts

Nice. Hmmmmm... Soe wheels turning here.

Rancanfish

I still remember the first time I saw one. Thought it had a bunch of parts like a camera. I only got to use it for a few casts before my buddy accidentally cast it overboard. But that's another story.

I am loving you guys keeping these babies in the limelight.

I purchased a Dam Quick in this style from Fred that I still haven't had time to go thru. Feels solid as a Quick should.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Gfish

Jason, is the magnate on the spool, looks like it? Doesn't that wreck the balance?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: Gfish on January 27, 2023, 10:18:34 PMJason, is the magnate on the spool, looks like it? Doesn't that wreck the balance?
Nope it's on the brake plate. So, handle side. But facing the spool.

Paul Roberts

Quote from: Rancanfish on January 27, 2023, 05:21:16 PMI purchased a Dam Quick in this style from Fred that I still haven't had time to go thru. Feels solid as a Quick should.
I saw that 600 series Quick go. Looks like a heck of a nice reel.

Bill B

So when it it was warm enough to go to the shop (it was 50* outside and 39* in the shop 🥶). I dug out my Bantams.  I've had the 10x for many years and the 2001's I received last year from my now deceased dad.  Haven't been in the 2001's yet.  They do have what Shimano calls a "Fightn'Drag" which totally locks down the drag to pull fish out of the weeds.  Not sure I would ever use it unless I'm fishing 20# line.  Looking at the boxes dad paid $106 & $112 for them in the '80's. The 10x has caught a lot of fish when I was on the Sacramento River.  It's still n the rod in this picture because some knucklehead was doing a repair on the rod, couldn't wait to go fishing and glued the hold down nut to the rod 🤨. "Gonna have to fix that some day ma" as Pa Kettle used to say 🤣.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Hytekrednek

Quote from: Paul Roberts on January 09, 2023, 12:04:55 AMYeah, I debate whether I should be talking reels up. Then again, I could just be getting ready to sell the 50 or so Bantams I've been hoarding! Cheap junk! :))

50!  wow, and to think I was proud to have 3. 2 Bantam 100's and a Bantam 10xsg  2 of mine are in near new condition after I went through them, and after finally finding a new old stock drive gear and pinion gear, my second Bantam 100 will be in excellent condition too.
Oh, I did spring for a new upgraded spool from Avail for one of the Bantam 100's. It is a shallow, lightweight, red aluminum spool. This made a big difference, thankfully, because it wasn't cheap. I have it on an excellent condition Bantam rod, the ones with the aluminum grip/reel seat. I forget the model of the rod at the moment, but I love it. Old school pistol grip, 5'6", graphite, aluminum, and just plain COOL!

akfish

I just picked up a Shimano Bantam 10X SG that is in great condition -- except that the anti-reverse dog needs to be replaced. Does anyone have one I can buy or know where I can get one? I also need the dog for a Swedish Ambassadeur 650 Plus but haven't started trying to find one...
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

JasonGotaProblem

akfish

If  you have them, I'll take them! Message me where I can send some money and I'll get you my snail mail address.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Paul Roberts

Quote from: Hytekrednek on April 27, 2023, 03:52:37 AM
Quote from: Paul Roberts on January 09, 2023, 12:04:55 AMYeah, I debate whether I should be talking reels up. Then again, I could just be getting ready to sell the 50 or so Bantams I've been hoarding! Cheap junk! :))

50!  wow, and to think I was proud to have 3. 2 Bantam 100's and a Bantam 10xsg  2 of mine are in near new condition after I went through them, and after finally finding a new old stock drive gear and pinion gear, my second Bantam 100 will be in excellent condition too.
Oh, I did spring for a new upgraded spool from Avail for one of the Bantam 100's. It is a shallow, lightweight, red aluminum spool. This made a big difference, thankfully, because it wasn't cheap. I have it on an excellent condition Bantam rod, the ones with the aluminum grip/reel seat. I forget the model of the rod at the moment, but I love it. Old school pistol grip, 5'6", graphite, aluminum, and just plain COOL!
Cool is right. Nice setups you have. And no I don't have 50 Bantams. Just 3.