Zebco 33

Started by jgp12000, October 15, 2023, 08:01:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgp12000

My 1st reel was a Zebco 33 combo, bought at the neighborhood drugstore in the late sixties I believe.Back then the Pharmacist owned the drug store,no CVS.I still have the reel, rod is long gone. It has AR and a bait alert with a cover lock screw. Any 33 gurus on here That know the model changes through The years with photos?

happyhooker

There is good info on the Zebbie 33 on the Fishing Talks website.  Plenty of pics. The 33 went thru a lot of changes over the years.  Asian versions still sold.

Frank

Gfish

I decided to get a 33 a couple of year's ago, as a classic American reel for my collection. I used the "Fishing Talks" web-site to look at the history. It was some help, but I found the writing needed editing for easier understanding and there was the usual disagreements between the contributors,...I.e., it was more work than I anticipated.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

foakes

Top selling reel of all time.

Taught more folks to fish than possibly all of the rest of the world's reels added together.

They manufactured bomb sights for the WWII military effort.

Hence, the name ZEBCO —- zero hour bomb company.

Very successful and respected company.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Bill Mehoffe

Quote from: foakes on October 16, 2023, 03:25:52 PMTop selling reel of all time.

Taught more folks to fish than possibly all of the rest of the world's reels added together.

They manufactured bomb sights for the WWII military effort.

Hence, the name ZEBCO —- zero hour bomb company.

Very successful and respected company.

Best, Fred

Never heard that before , Could you please elaborate on your assertion?
It is common knowledge the Zero Hour Bomb Company manufactured Oil Field Fracking Timer Devices.  Being a WWII History Enthusiast Some Direct links to the info concerning their contribution to WWII Bombsites would be Most  Enlightening not to Mention Intriguing. Thank you for your forthcoming reply .
William   

foakes

Hi William —-

It was not a bomb sight as I indicated (my mistake).

It was a bomb timed detonator device used in oil well drilling operations to fracture and increase oil production.

Their accurate and dependable devices were also used during WWII in bombs dropped.

There is plenty of information about this online.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Bill Mehoffe

Quote from: foakes on October 16, 2023, 09:30:48 PMHi William —-

It was not a bomb sight as I indicated (my mistake).

It was a bomb timed detonator device used in oil well drilling operations to fracture and increase oil production.

Their accurate and dependable devices were also used during WWII in bombs dropped.

There is plenty of information about this online.

Best, Fred

This is the only Reason I questioned your Statementas I have NOT Found Any connection with the Zero Hour Bomb Company and World  War 2  regarding their involvement other than they made accurate Timing Devices for Drilling oil which of course (The Oil) was needed however nothing denotes their timing devices were used in Bombs the Military used .
Should you find something backing your statement up I as well as many other War Enthusiasts I know would be most interested . It is not my intention to get off course in this Zebco 33 thread but YOU  started it and I merely called you on it to produce some evidence. No Harm Done  .  I understand this is a Reel and fishing site not a History of World War II Vendors .
Best Regards, William

jgp12000

I went to the <Fishing Talks> site
And met 2 nice gentlemen one is a 33 guru the other is a Johnson man and he had some gears for a Century 100B a friend gave me.2 classic simple spincast reels.

Gfish

Here's 2. The top/bottom black one is a prolly a '57 with the well worn "feather touch"(thin copper triangle poking out of the rotor). Note; no anti reverse lever. Actually there are many little differences, from the...opposite colored one pictured. It is a '59 - early '60's also with feather touch. Note the round handle knobs, the railroad tie like knurling on the covers. I think the '59 - '67 reels with the AR system and no Lexan body(starting in '68?)were the best ones. Not everything was better; the pre-'59's, for example had thicker metal handles(less prone to bending?). There may be other differences internally(for example the 2 rotors in the third picture) but I'd have to do a side by side complete tear-down.

My new best buddy; Captain America says" hello from Kaua'i!"
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Gfish on November 09, 2023, 01:27:09 AMMy new best buddy; Captain America says" hello from Kaua'i!"

You probably already know this, Greg, but the black one is one of the first 33s. They had a problem with the black covers coming loose & falling off so if you took your reel in to a Zebco dealer they would exchange the black covers for chrome ones. If you ever see a chrome 33 with a chrome center band it was one of the early switch-outs. I actually have one that my dad had switched out and I remember him getting the new covers.

One good thing about your buddy, Captain America, is he looks awful tasty. :d Watch out for them spurs, they're pretty darn long & sharp.  :o  Had a rooster once that jumped up & spurred me with both feet every time he got a chance. I kicked that SOB across the pen many a time. Finally one day I got fed up with the spurring and decided it was time to roast him up. I grinned with every bite.  ;D 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

jgp12000

I caught a few bream on my 33 the other day after the kroil bath it was slick as Richard's hat band!
The guru said mine is a 65' model