Penn Spinfisher 7500 SS: Bearings, Cleaning Sand

Started by hotajax, April 01, 2023, 07:25:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotajax

So in the heat of things, my kids spooled his working reels and snatched my backup 7500 SS.  Of course he had to turn the handle around because I'm a lefty, and of course he dropped the handle in the sand. And, of course, I get to clean it, right? Normal procedure.

So I have two questions, easily answered by guys on this site:
1.  Do the two bearings on the sides of the reel (where the handle shaft goes through ) pop right out or do they have to press them out?

2.  Once I get the bearings out can I soak them in Kroil or mineral spirits to get any crap out of it, and then apply a good load of reel lube?  Or is this set of bearings smoked?

That is all. Thanks in advance. 

foakes

The bearings just pop out —-

There may be little or no sand in the bearings, if they have shields.

The casings surrounding them may have sand.

I use an ultrasonic cleaner with simple green or lacquer thinner to clean bearings.

However, I would pop off any shields —- soak them in lacquer thinner or brake cleaner to remove the grease that will trap the sand —- then rinse them well with a fresh water spray.

Then drop them in a bottle of synthetic oil for an hour —- pull them out and spin to see if there is any sand evident still.

An ultrasonic cleaner gets every tiny bit of sand, grease, and crud out of the bearings in minutes —- with the proper cleaner.

But it is still possible to save the bearings without a US cleaner.

They may not be as bad as you think.  However, every bit of crud, salt, and sand grains must be removed before regreasing and reinstalling.  And the bearings must be smooth and tight operating.

If in doubt —- new bearings are a good and inexpensive solution —- but probably not necessary.

You will know after you clean them up the best you can.

Best, Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

hotajax

Quote from: foakes on April 01, 2023, 08:09:02 PMThe bearings just pop out —-

There may be little or no sand in the bearings, if they have shields.

The casings surrounding them may have sand.

I use an ultrasonic cleaner with simple green or lacquer thinner to clean bearings.

However, I would pop off any shields —- soak them in lacquer thinner or brake cleaner to remove the grease that will trap the sand —- then rinse them well with a fresh water spray.

Then drop them in a bottle of synthetic oil for an hour —- pull them out and spin to see if there is any sand evident still.

An ultrasonic cleaner gets every tiny bit of sand, grease, and crud out of the bearings in minutes —- with the proper cleaner.

But it is still possible to save the bearings without a US cleaner.

They may not be as bad as you think.  However, every bit of crud, salt, and sand grains must be removed before regreasing and reinstalling.  And the bearings must be smooth and tight operating.

If in doubt —- new bearings are a good and inexpensive solution —- but probably not necessary.

You will know after you clean them up the best you can.

Best, Fred

Next dumb question:  how to get the shields off.  Thanks, Fred.

foakes

Just poke a small hole in them with a pick.

Pop them off and toss them in the trash.

Some guys like to just take off (1) side —- then position the left-on shield to the outside for a little additional shielding. 

Either way works.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

hotajax