Need a 716 Tough Part

Started by foakes, January 14, 2023, 12:35:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Looking to purchase a greenie frame for a 716 reel.

Picked one up that is unused and new in its original box.

Not even a fly-speck or scratch on the paint —- never mounted on a rod, never spooled.

Obvious issue —- guy etched his name and date he bought the reel into the lower frame below the crank.

So, a pristine frame is needed before I resort to stripping and painting.

I'll be selling this reel to someone —- and unless their name is John Sheldon —- it would benefit from the frame switch out.

Best, Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Woodpuppy

Ha! I thought reel hard about buying that one and swapping bodies myself! But we just bought a mess of dance competition costumes for the girls, so..... had to pass.

foakes

Yeah, I thought it went really cheap.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

sandbar

foakes

Quote from: sandbar on January 14, 2023, 10:39:26 PM$25.00 on EBay

I saw that, and the other one by one of our excellent members (fishgrain) —- Justin.

Problem is, the $25 is a rough and possibly not color-matched repaint.

The one Justin has is OK for a user reel —- but it also has a fair amount of issues just from "bin scrapings".

Looks like whatever I get, will need to be reworked and repainted.

I have contacted a couple of good overseas sources that I have used for well over 25 years.  I will see what they have —- before going the repaint route.

Not a big deal —- this reel has been in this condition for 47 years.  Another month or two won't make any difference.

If anyone has a good one, please let me know and I will purchase it.

Best Always, Fred

--------

Fred O.

foakes

Mail came today —-

Took (3) weeks from overseas —- got a perfect greenie frame, (4) 716Z new frames, a greenie 716 missing the spool and crank, and a nice 714Z.

Wasn't expecting much from the green 716 missing the crank and spool.  Installed a new gold crank and spool, along with black knobs. It actually looks better to match the gold components to the gold Penn 716 emblem, IMO.  We all know, who have been around reels for awhile —- that each reel, even in the same exact model —- will feel a little different in our experienced hands.  This particular 716 Greenie is the smoothest and crispest operating of any 716 I have ever touched.  Looks like the spool and crank were used for another reel, and never replaced.  The reel is as or near new inside and out.

When I get a few extra minutes this afternoon —- I will do a frame switch-out on the New in Box original greenie 716.  Then it will be all original and for sale along with everything else.

I will post a pic later today when completed.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

Woodpuppy

Lookin' good Fred! Love those little Zs.

handi2

Fred the last 716 I sold on the net I got $189.00. This was a few years ago. At least 5 years ago.

It was a true mint in box reel with new Penn wrapping paper, pamphlets, grease, etc
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

foakes

Quote from: handi2 on February 08, 2023, 01:14:55 AMFred the last 716 I sold on the net I got $189.00. This was a few years ago. At least 5 years ago.

It was a true mint in box reel with new Penn wrapping paper, pamphlets, grease, etc

Right, Keith —-

Now, they are possibly double that.

There is, and has been an ever-increasing trend towards these vintage ultralight or microlight reels offered by the "Big 4" of quality traditional spinning reels.

These firms would be Penn, ABU, Mitchell, and D.A.M. Quick.

The Penn models would include the Penn 716 Greenie, 714 Greenie, 716Z, 714Z, 420SS, 430SS.

The ABU/Zebco would include the Cardinal 3, and the C3.

Mitchell would include the 408/308.

D.A.M. Quick would include the 265 Microlite, 110, 110N, 1000, 1001.

There are a few others, maybe only a few though.

What these all have in common is solidly engineered and well proven reels of the highest quality materials and components.

With the exception of the tiny Mitchells, the other (3) brands all have a bronze main gear coupled with a steel double supported and main bearing worm-drive pinion.  All within an aluminum casing.  Doesn't get any tougher and long lasting.

These reels will outlast an angler's fishing career —- and still be worthy and capable of being handed forward for another generation of capable fishing.

There is a strong value in both capable usage and for collectors.

These reels will fish capably far above their intended target range in the case where a very large fish surprisingly takes the offering.

For the life of me —- I do not understand why these reels are not being produced today —- in the exact configuration as they were 40-50 years ago.

Probably just too expensive to produce since they would also be in the $300 to $400 price range — and most modern anglers would rather buy a Tupperware Plastic shiny marvel reel with 13 China bearings — for less than $100.  To many, these 40-50 year old reels are their "Dad's old tackle" — not shiny or impressive to their peers — although the fish wouldn't know the difference.

No greater pleasure than fishing any of these tiny powerhouses mounted on a quality glass rod like a Fenwick, Wright-McGill, Eagle Claw, or an Ugly Stik ultralight rod.

Whether 12 miles from the nearest road in the backcountry, or by your favorite roadside lake, stream, river —- or just ready in your go-kit, or displayed in your den —- any of these are capable and a good value.

Eventually, the best will always rise to the surface.

Knowing anglers appreciate these reels.

They are not expensive —- and will outlast anything being built today.

The cheapest tools are the ones that we only buy once.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

foakes

All finished, full disassemble, cleaning to remove hardened factory grease from 1976.

Frame replaced.

Also discovered the guy had etched his name, date, and other numbers on the bottom of the spool.  So I replaced that with a new spool also.

Box, paperwork, wrench, Penn Tissue Packing paper, included a new spare bail spring.

If someone on our site wants it, figure $285 delivered to your door via USPS Priority Mail with tracking.

High speed at 5.1 to 1

Smallest Penn Ultralight at 8.5 ounces

This green reel was only manufactured for a couple of years in the mid 70's.

Also have a 716 greenie that is perfect for fishing without the box —- added new gold crank and spool with black knobs.  It is an attractive combination with the gold 716 emblem and the dark Penn green.  Figure $200, shipped.

Or figure $450 for both, delivered.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

sandbar

reelrepair123

sure are pretty fred, great work as always.   harryk

Gfish

Not much for cosmetics in fishing gear, but the green and gold together looks great. Penn shoulda done that on all them Greenies. I have a pristine 714, box and alla goodies(even that wrapping paper). Yeah, gold insteada silver would look nice...

Some companies do bring back a classic, like the Zebco 33, but they always gotta cheapen them up with plastic WHERE IT DON'T BELONG!
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!