2 lb line

Started by jgp12000, January 17, 2023, 04:39:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgp12000

Well I cleaned 12 crappie (had small eggs, maybe soon it will be on) recently caught from the dock. I have a hardware fabric basket I made and leave it attached to a cleat on the dock. I save them up til I get 10 or so to clean. I tried an 1/8 blk jig with a gold hook with a tiny fluke 3"Arkansas shad color and can get out to the middle of the pond from the dock with 4lb line. I want to try some 2lb line with a 1/16 oz jig to get the same distance. The only Fluorocarbon I ever tried (I forget the brand) tangled up so bad I threw it away, any suggestions?

philaroman

tippet (pre-stretched nylon) guide spools (guide = bulk, which is only 100m)
6X is about same dimeter as 2# running line, but tests well over 3#
7X is noticeably thinner than 2# running line, but tests about same or slightly stronger

Scientific Anglers used to be Japanese & "reasonable" @ $8/100m
nowadays, you gotta PAY!!!  :'( :'( :'(

jgp12000

So with 7x I would get more distance and be less visible and yet strong enough for crappie.Also, if you guys have never watched Gene he is quite the fisherman ,you may need <cc> though...

https://youtube.com/@RichardGeneTheFishingMachine

Swami805

I've been using sunline fluorocarbon from Japan for the last year or so. It's served me well and cheaper than most too. The lightest I've used is 6lb though
Do what you can with that you have where you are

JasonGotaProblem

8# braid is the diameter of 2# mono, casts light years better, and is stronger.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Gfish

If ya don't flyfish, could be a thing. You could learn on your own pond, without folks smirking at you as you try'n remove the hook from your, hat, or shirt, or ear. You guys talkin bout leader material got me thinkin it.
It can be a heck of a lota fun!
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

jgp12000

I ordered 7x tippet for sharts and giggles to put on a 500 size spinner just to see what happens.will update .

xjchad

Sounds fun, looking forward to it!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

philaroman

if you still can, consider changing order to 6X
7X may be strong enough in clean open water,
but it's so thin & wispy, it's a nuisance to deal with

Rancanfish

Or try Maxima Chameleon in 2lb. I fish 6lb for bass. Only got borken off once so far.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

jgp12000

I have never seen 7x in person must be small I am thinking sidearm casts for starters and no wind can be present? I saw one brand "Frog Hair".

El Pescador

Jpg!

Crappie fishing! Sounds like fun.  I've had a few CRAPPY fishing days in my life, but it beats working!!!

Sept. 2009 I was fishing the Little Truckee River, about 10 north of the town of Truckee.

Water level was very low, we were using a 7X tippet with nymph flies half the width of my index finger!!!

BUTT fishing was good, caught this nice Rainbow on a size 24 fly on a 7X tippet.  Challenging for sure.

This fish took me into my backing twice, ONLY cause I didn't want to pull too hard and break off.

And that fishing style goes against my usual fishing style...  Rip'n Lips!!!!

Here is the box of flies to pick from...

I picked this one.  Blurry photo, I know but you get this idea of how a small size 24 fly is.

It is ALWAYS a great day on the water!!!!

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Cor

Wayne you guys have some beautiful places there in the USofA.

I can not quite imagine fishing with 2 lb line but fly fishing in those rivers anytime.

Consider yourself lucky.
Cornelis

El Pescador

COR,

Thank you for your kind comment on our fishing grounds,

BUTT I have given up fishing heavenly gossamer thread to catch fish.

My lowest limit today is 5X tippet or 5 lbs.

IF I can't wrangle a 12" fish to my feet while standing in the stream using 5 lbs. test line,

Time to find another hobby!!!!

Wayne

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

jgp12000

That is a pretty river, one of my fav bream poles used to be a 9' ft scientific angler fly rod with a 500 size spinner mounted on it. The pole did most of the fight the reel was just to get em' closer