2 lb line

Started by jgp12000, January 17, 2023, 04:39:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Pescador

Jpg!

Using a Fly Rod with a spinning reel!!!  What a concept!!!

I defaulted to using my Mitchell 308 ONLY because I forgot my fly reel in camp.

here we are fishing a small high Sierra Lake.

But not until we enjoyed a shot to ward off mosquitoes and bad Spirits!! A Father's Day gift from my sons while they were in High School.

And here is the setup: a 7.5' 3-wt fly rod with a Mitchell 308 attached.  man did it throw small spinning lures almost across the lake!!!

What all this has to do with 2 lbs. tippet I REELY don't know.

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

jgp12000

that could be a post card !

steelfish

Quote from: jgp12000 on January 18, 2023, 03:59:24 PMthat could be a post card !

which of the 3 pics?

all of them are great pictures.
I always though about using a Mitchel 305 with a 8ft 5-wt flyrod but never done it, with this post I think I will try it just for fun.

2lb line is really outta my league for saltwater fishing, my UL setup for saltwater shore fishing (which I dont think qualify as true UL) is a german salmon rod 3mt(10ft) 20gr(3/4oz) lure, using a shimano 2500 with 6 lb line
The Baja Guy

jgp12000

Yep all postcards just to be outdoors !

Gfish

The Rockies have more postcard places, but the Sierra's may well have a slight edge on beautiful places.  My favorite was Monarch Lake. The hike-in wasn't so darn steep.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

reelynew

Wayne,

What lake were you at in the photo that had the flask?  My wife and I fish up off Hwy 4 in Alpine and Calaveras counties.  We're always looking for new spots.

Matt
I fish because the voices in my head tell me to.

philaroman

Quote from: El Pescador on January 18, 2023, 03:51:24 PM...I defaulted to using my Mitchell 308 ONLY because I forgot my fly reel in camp...

so, why the abundant box of spoons, if you did not INTEND to use the spinner?  ;)

El Pescador

Quote from: reelynew on January 19, 2023, 04:47:15 PMWayne,

What lake were you at in the photo that had the flask? ...    We're always looking for new spots.

Matt

Matt,

That location is Smith Lake.

We access this area from Downieville, CA  on Hwy. 49, Continue up to Bassets, turn LEFT,

you are entering the Gold Lake area,

once at Parker lake we 4X4 into the Pauley Creek area - Gold Valley, then it is another 4X4 road to Smith Lake.

Other lakes to visit to fish:

Smith Lake
Snake Lake
Hawley Lake

Fish any of the 3 rivers (streams) that enter into Downieville are always fantastic fishing.

Pauley Creek
Lavezzola Creek
Downie Creek

Some walking is required BUTT always enjoyable and NO ON THERE IS FISHING, they are all Mountain Bikers riding downhill at neck-break speed to Downieville. 

If you are into gold panning, Buddy Jerry always finds "COLOR" when he washes some high bank dirt with his green plastic gold pan.

if you want more info on this area, PM me, Lifelong Buddy Jerry and I have been fishing here each summer for 24 years.

To quote Bel Lange - a Sacramento TV fishing & hunting host when I was a kid...

"REMEMBER TO TAKE TIME TO ENJOY THE GREAT OUTDOORS!"

https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/sacbee/name/belno-lange-obituary?id=7969534

Wayne

El Pescador

Quote from: philaroman on January 19, 2023, 06:46:56 PM
Quote from: El Pescador on January 18, 2023, 03:51:24 PM...I defaulted to using my Mitchell 308 ONLY because I forgot my fly reel in camp...

so, why the abundant box of spoons, if you did not INTEND to use the spinner?  ;)

Phil,

I had that wrong, I FORGOT my spinning rod at camp.  I only had my fly rod from the day prior, BUTT grabbed my Mitchell 308 when we hopped in Jerry's Truck.

The Mother of necessity...

Wayne

Cor

I can not imagine fishing that weight line.

The lightest stuff I use ever is 32 LB mono but then only as a leader.   I use it with pre used Yellowtail main line of 50 lb to catch fish that seldom weigh more then 3 lb. :-[

The terrain dictates!
Cornelis

El Pescador

BIG THANKS to Shibs for his work to get this photo into the Gallery.

I had NO LUCK, and was DENIED by GO DADDY 5X's!!!  WHY, let's ask Shibs, he'll know.

Anyhow, here is the nice-sized trout I caught, now out of the net.

When I netted him, he was full of energy due to the fact I could NOT put some hurt (Pulling) on the 7X tippet.  So my hard-handed Grip & Grin photo :o

If you want even MORE of a challenge, ORVIS is now making an 8X Tippet!!!  This from their website:

8X or 1.4 lbs. test line.  Man, even a bluegill might break that fishing line!!!!

OH, and this was Sept. 2009 - at that time CAL Fish & Game (now Wildlife, that name change was in 2013) stated we had to have our fishing license visible ABOVE our waistline.  Funny how times have changed.

Hope everyone has a great day.

And GO NINERS!!!!

Wayne

Donnyboat

Nice report thanks Wayne, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

jgp12000

Well the 7x never shipped in 3 days so I cancelled the order. I found some 6x at wally world and even the 6x is like a frog hair. I cast it a few times and it was a bust, got wrapped around the rotor and broke while trying to untangle. I can see where it is Stealthy but just for fly line or maybe a bream buster. I ordered some 3lb suffix ice fishing line, I get almost the same distance with a 1/16 oz jig as I do with a 1/8oz on 4lb line. No catches yet it is neon orange color just loaded it this am I don't think crappie care about color, I have seen bream care but we'll see.
update:
I caught a 10" crappie and 12" bream on the suffix 3lb line with a 1/16oz blk/char crappie magnet. Seems to be great line i just wish I could find it in a larger spool.

Gfish

Ha! Cal Fish and Game(wildlife). Having your license up there visible was prolly so they could sit on rear-ends and use binoculars to check.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!