Tommy Walker Mag

Started by ourford, January 20, 2023, 07:51:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ourford

I came across a Mag conversion plate for a SLOSH 20 some time ago for $10. The guy who sold it to me said it was a tommy walker and no longer available. I put it on a SEALINE-X 20SHV. There's a lot of adjustment. You can go from complete free spool to 1 spool rotation with a hard spin. Anybody see these before?
Vic

thorhammer

I got one, but paid 65 NIB. You got a great deal

sabaman1

How do the plates work? Does the neodymium magnets apply some force to the spool shaft, seeing that the spool is aluminum.
JIM

ourford

As long as the spool is metal it works. You can glue a metal disc to a plastic spool.
Vic

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: sabaman1 on January 21, 2023, 04:28:10 PMHow do the plates work? Does the neodymium magnets apply some force to the spool shaft, seeing that the spool is aluminum.
A material that's conductive but not magnetic rotating in magnetic field creates a small current and a force opposite the rotation, proportional to rotational speed and magnetic field strength. So it creates a non-friction braking effect on the spool when it's moving fast, without affecting start up inertia the way tightening a spool knob would.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

sabaman1

I see so it works by creating a strong electromagnetic force in which the spool passes through.
 Thanks Jason!

JIM

Cor

@ ourford
I now see it has a whole new side plate, could you post a photo from the side please, is interesting to me I have a few of those reels.
Thanks
Cornelis

Gfish

Cool. A whole new side-plate. Are the magnets replaceable, ourford? Or, maybe I should say relatively easy to replace?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Cor

Quote from: Gfish on January 26, 2023, 02:49:02 PMCool. A whole new side-plate. Are the magnets replaceable, ourford? Or, maybe I should say relatively easy to replace?
I think they just do like magnets and stick to the metal plate :D
Cornelis

steelfish

The Baja Guy

ourford

Quote from: Gfish on January 26, 2023, 02:49:02 PMCool. A whole new side-plate. Are the magnets replaceable, ourford? Or, maybe I should say relatively easy to replace?
Yeah G. They just attract to the plate. You can use thinner,thicker, or use more, or less.
Vic

ourford

Side pic.
Vic

Cor

Thanks.  Nice clean lines, has taken your clicker away but does not really matter for me.

It's a mag idea I have never before seen.
Cornelis

ExcessiveAngler

That is very nice and cool looking lol!
I've seen plenty of center tourno mags!
But this is quite unique looking, and very interesting if you ask me!
That's the first time I've ever seen any type of aftermarket side plate for a Daiwa!
And not only that, it's all aluminum and actually looks as though it's been cut(machined) from a solid block!
Yup, I'm definitely jealous. LMAO.

EA