Aluminum Daiwa Sealine Reels Castability

Started by Dragalioun, March 28, 2023, 09:12:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dragalioun

Good Afternoon folks, I've been very interested in buying a Daiwa Sealine 27H or 30H for a few months now (I can't seem to find any for a good price on Ebay/Offer Up) because I'd like to use them as a stronger Surfmaster/Jigmaster for bigger fish (While still being able to cast it a good distance). My question is, how well are they at casting compared to say a Penn Jigmaster 500, or a Penn Surfmaster 100? They seem to be around the size of what I'm looking for but I'm worried they will be a lot worse than a Surfmaster 100 (My main comparision reel). Thank you!

ExcessiveAngler

Quote from: Dragalioun on March 28, 2023, 09:12:07 PMGood Afternoon folks, I've been very interested in buying a Daiwa Sealine 27H or 30H for a few months now (I can't seem to find any for a good price on Ebay/Offer Up) because I'd like to use them as a stronger Surfmaster/Jigmaster for bigger fish (While still being able to cast it a good distance). My question is, how well are they at casting compared to say a Penn Jigmaster 500, or a Penn Surfmaster 100? They seem to be around the size of what I'm looking for but I'm worried they will be a lot worse than a Surfmaster 100 (My main comparision reel). Thank you!

Darn I just sold off 2-27H's very cheaply!
I still have a pretty decent 30H here!
The only flaw I can really find, is the small badge is missing, which does not affect performance at all, minus some very minor cosmetic stuff, seeing how the reel is God knows how many years old, probably 30 years old, not really sure, to be honest with you!
Had it apart for a quick service last season and haven't touched it since!
I also spooled it up with 20 pound Berkley, big game, solar collector hi-vis mono!
I was honestly thinking about making it a surf reel, but have way too many other reels, that are sitting idle!

EA

ExcessiveAngler

Somehow, I deleted a small paragraph out of my reply, hard trying to use the phone here!
The 30H cast fine, if you know how to tune them down a little and have an educated thumb lol!
If you totally degrease the 30H bearings, it can become quite fast!
Any of my reels that are too fast, that I cannot control, that don't have mags or brakes get either Grease or HD differential oil from my old Honda 250 in the bearings!
Like I said, I was going to mag this reel, but I have way nicer reels sitting, that I don't use and I need to stop doing that!
As compared to the Surfmaster or jigmaster. I never really tried to Cast any of those!
So, when I was younger, I wasn't allowed, I can still hear my father,
"you're not supposed to try to cast the damn thing, it's a boat reel dammit"
Amazing. All the modifications that can be done now to make these long casting reels, and complete hot rods.

EA

Dragalioun

Quote from: ExcessiveAngler on March 28, 2023, 10:06:59 PMSomehow, I deleted a small paragraph out of my reply, hard trying to use the phone here!
The 30H cast fine, if you know how to tune them down a little and have an educated thumb lol!
If you totally degrease the 30H bearings, it can become quite fast!
Any of my reels that are too fast, that I cannot control, that don't have mags or brakes get either Grease or HD differential oil from my old Honda 250!
Like I said, I was going to mag this reel, but I have way nicer reels sitting, that I don't use and I need to stop doing that!
As compared to the Surfmaster or jigmaster. I never really tried to Cast any of those!
So, when I was younger, I wasn't allowed, I can still hear my father,
"you're not supposed to try to cast the damn thing, it's a boat reel dammit"
Amazing. All the modifications that can be now to make these reels, complete hot rods.

EA

EA

That's very interesting, the only thing I've really tried using/casting are the older style Penn reels (Jigmaster/Surfmaster) by choice of course, it's all I have because I like them but the Daiwa Sealines have been catching my attention for a while now. As long as the 30H (more interested in it than the 27H mostly due to the side plate take apart) casts in between the Jigmaster and Surfmaster I'll be a happy camper! I may be thinking too optimistically for what I could get a 30H for but I need to just ask around here when I get a chance, we'll just have to see

Swami805

If you can cast a jigmaster or. Surfmaster you should be fine with the Daiwa. Distance should improve since you should have better free spool with bearings as opposed to bushings
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Rancanfish

Casting with the 30h would be easier than the 27h that has a levelwind.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

JasonGotaProblem

My 27SH (different gears) casts better than I'd expect. If you think about it, design wise it's basically a 5000C with a heavier spool and freespool is a lever not a button.

Great little reel. I've pushed it way further than its meant for with 50# braid and carbon drags and it didn't seem to mind. It's pretty solid.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Dragalioun

Quote from: Swami805 on March 29, 2023, 01:30:10 AMIf you can cast a jigmaster or. Surfmaster you should be fine with the Daiwa. Distance should improve since you should have better free spool with bearings as opposed to bushings

I had completely forgotten about the fact that the Sealine's have bearings! I've just heard they can usually be more heavy reels when it comes to actual weight and strength so I expected them to be a bit harder to cast! Thank you