Penn Peerless 9m reel anti reverse not working

Started by Eddie Hernandez, January 09, 2023, 05:45:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Hernandez

Hi All-Having issues with the anti-reverse on a penn peerless 9 reel! I seem to get it to initially work and when I start to reassemble the reel its no longer locking not sure if its the leaf spring? The dog and spring are in the correct orientation! should I change the bend on the leaf to create more tension!  :-\  Any help greatly appreciated!........thx.........ed

foakes

Quote from: Eddie Hernandez on January 09, 2023, 05:45:15 PMHi All-Having issues with the anti-reverse on a penn peerless 9 reel! I seem to get it to initially work and when I start to reassemble the reel its no longer locking not sure if its the leaf spring? The dog and spring are in the correct orientation! should I change the bend on the leaf to create more tension!  :-\  Any help greatly appreciated!........thx.........ed

4 things, Ed —

Everything has to be cleaned up really good to remove any grease and crud that may have migrated into the A/R dog area.

Never hurts to bend the copper spring for more "snap & tension".

Make sure the under-gear friction washer is not too large —- it can interfere with the A/R dog.

When all is cleaned up, polished, and smooth-operating —- apply only a good synthetic oil to the A/R dog area —-  never grease.

Plus, sometimes on an older, worn reel — we can tighten the bridge screws too much.  Back them off a bit — twist the slightly loose plate and bridge assembly until the dog works effectively — then snug up the bridge screws — but do not over-tighten them.

Let us know.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Eddie Hernandez

Fred thank you! The reel is clean as a whistle no old grease or any grease on the dog and surrounding parts, I may be tightening to tight, it has the original under gear washer. I will def try and get this reel to work tonight with your approach, frustrating I have worked on these 9 reels before and never had this issue, frustrating and humbling!

foakes

Also good to inspect the dog for any burrs that could prevent it functioning properly.

A dog can be "flat-lapped" on each side by running it over a piece of emory paper on a 1/4" piece of glass, generally 600 —- until smooth.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Eddie Hernandez

Problem solved! The leaf spring was not applying enough pressure on the dog, I adjusted the bend on the spring and both reels functioned as they should!! thank you!!!

Shellbelly

"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)