D.A.M. Quick 1000 & 1001

Started by foakes, January 29, 2023, 01:35:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

While assembling a Microlite DQ 1001 out of spare parts for a client today —-

The thought occurred to me —-

Here is an all metal tiny reel with no pot metal parts.

OK, so that is not so much, however...

The frame, sideplate, rotor, and many other parts are made out of aircraft grade aluminum —- not graphite or plastic.

The worm drive gear is SS and double-supported by a large bearing up front, and a solid bushing in the rear.

The phosphor-cut bronze main gear is exact centerline and also double supported with oversized steel axles on each side.

The spool is "skirted" and aluminum.

The drag system is top and bottom and multiple.

The spool is push button release.

It is a high speed 1:5 gear ratio.

The spool holds 175 yards of 4 lb & 150 yards of 6 lb.

And yet...it only weighs 7.6 ounces!

The 1000 is black with silver crank and spool, red knobs.

The 1001 is all black.

There are many good reels out there —- but this could be one of the best ever in a Microlite size.

And a real pleasure to fish.

It will handle fish way above its target range without damage or problems.  Just bait up and cast it again.

These reels never cease to amaze me —- even after 45 years of working on them.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Gfish

Nice!
Looks like a vast improvement in the drag system over the old-school DAM Quicks. That is, the design, not necessarily the component quality.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

JasonGotaProblem

You ever find any metal drag washers in that parts bin?
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

foakes

Yeah, you asked me back on January 3rd —-

And I got busy with serious weather for 3 weeks, out of town, and other things —- then forgot.  Sorry!

How many do you want? 

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

Quote from: foakes on January 29, 2023, 01:35:42 AMThe worm drive gear is SS and double-supported by a large bearing up front, and a solid bushing in the rear.

The phosphor-cut bronze main gear is exact centerline and also double supported with oversized steel axles on each side.

These features are what eliminate flex...and make this little reel one of my all time favorites. If I could have only one spinning reel, I'm sure the 1000 would be my choice. :fish
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: foakes on January 29, 2023, 05:21:01 AMYeah, you asked me back on January 3rd —-

And I got busy with serious weather for 3 weeks, out of town, and other things —- then forgot.  Sorry!

How many do you want? 

Best, Fred
Thats what I figured, and I had other projects to keep my attention.
If memory serves these come in both eared and keyed flavors. 2 of each should do it just let me know what I owe you.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.