penn baja special handle binding

Started by echang, March 02, 2013, 11:55:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

echang

I had taken apart my new baja special to do the Tani preventative maintenance procedure and must've done something wrong.  The more  I crank down on the star drag, the handle becomes progressively more difficult to turn.  What have I done wrong?  You're help would be greatly appreciated!  Thank you, Eric

paal

Welcome to the board! :)
I would first check that the bellevilles are configured like this: "()". I don't have the HN, but from Alan's tutorial it looks like e.g. a ")(" configuration would put the pressure from the star onto the outer race of the drive shaft bearing, and this would cause binding I believe....
Hopefully one of gurus will chime in and correct my mess ;)
Cheers,
Paal

alantani

sounds like the star is bottoming out against the side plate.  you will need another washer of some sort.  make sure the bellevilles are in a "()" configurtation as well. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

echang

Paal and Alan,

Thank you for the solution ....my bellevilles were )) orientation!  How careless of me.  Switched them to () and no more binding!  You guys are awesome and thank you for responding!

Best regards!
Eric

Anglerboi

Hello,

I have the same issue, but only when the reel is in freespool.  In gear the handle is smooth and zero binding along normal drag and freespool.