Drag help with a 5000

Started by Swami805, September 08, 2020, 04:51:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swami805

I've been buying a few abu's here and there. Am fixing up this old one and ran into this funky looking set up. I want to put in greased cf washers, can I just pull this stuff out and put a cf in there?
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Bryan Young

Yes, you can pull out that rubber washer and install a Carbontex washer. I think I had to dremel the ID so it does not interfere with the clicker sound when drag is pulled.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

mo65

Smoothdrag makes a drop in set for that reel Sheridan...here's a thread where I restored a 5000 that may help:  https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=26323.0

While answering this post I realized just how many of the old stickied tutorials are basically useless now...the photos removed or held hostage. It's about time to either get those photos restored...or just un-sticky these threads and let them fade away. I spent a lot of time re-hosting the pics in my posts...but that ain't helpin' nobody when the posts are buried on page ten. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Swami805

Thanks, I'll pull that and replace it, just need 6-8 lbs of drag so with a cf on either side of the gear should be sufficent
Thanks for taking the time Moe, so many tutorials with no pictures now. What a bummer, all that work down the tubes. I'll be doing my trinidads and toriums soon and those tutorials are just script. Fortunately I've found what I needed on other sites
Thanks again

Gfish

What about the drag clicker system? Nice feature, an automatic clicker when drag's pulled, but can that be replaced with cf washers?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Swami805

I have a couple others apart, I'll see if a gear from another reel will fit, a 3 stack would be nice. I have 5 different 5000's from different years, hopefully I can mix and match some parts and get what I want. They're all a little different, some with bearings, some bushings, some with both.

steelfish

Compadre Sheridan, pretty sure you already got the drag washers for your abu garcia, Im on a same boat to upgrade a 6500C for a friend and saw this trick from Alan, https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=10707.msg102745#msg102745

I havent done it yet (need to ask my friend if he want to wait for the abu carbontex drags or want to pryer the spring washer (thingy) inside the main gear and put the jigmaster drag washers on it.

I have a 6600C and "just for the science" I will do it, I kind of feel more confident with a single whole jigmaster drag washer on the reel than the thin/shallow drag washer that have now (eventho is a carbontex drag washer)
The Baja Guy

nelz

You can also pry off that spring tab inside the main gear and fit a larger drag disk in there. Without it, the top washer will also sit more flush helping to smooth things out a bit. You'll lose the clicking but have a better drag over-all.