DIY CT Conversion

Started by r_shackleford, November 28, 2022, 04:08:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkB and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

thorhammer

Nice work. You should try that on an 11' with 4 oz and I expect you might spool it with practice.

JasonGotaProblem

I ordered the blakdog conversion kit last night. I realized I'm lurking around local hardware stores trying to reinvent the wheel to save a few bucks trying to make a better version of what I already made, but the actual better version is for sale for not that much money online. So I just bought the dang thing to save on gas.

But I do intend to strap mine to my 10' surf rod sometime while I'm home on my very generous paternity leave, and try to see my spool arbor again.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

JasonGotaProblem

I decided to make another one. When I bought this 4500C3 without looking at line ratings, I guess in my head i assumed since it was a smaller reel it was set up for lighter line than the 5000C. Nope, just less line cap. So I said goodbye to the levelwind assembly and I'm gonna fill it up with 15# braid and see what it'll do.

I also did carbon drags, the bearings in it are good but ceramics are on the way. I also stole a smaller drag star from one of my 5000C because the flat star was running into the curved handle. This reel came with 5.3 ratio gears.

I was considering putting a steel main in and setting this one up for power, but then I saw the plastic/graphite foot and said maybe not. Oh well it'll still be good for bass.

Also the eBay seller I bought this from is also a member here. I may need to reach out and ask about the history of this one. It cleaned up just great and for the price it's awesome. But why was there legit mud inside of it?

Whit

Watching this thread with extreme interest! 

Barishi

Just curious about Abu modding: is there a reason to make tungsten carbide spindles for the 6500s? A local tackle shop claims to be stocking these.

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: Barishi on February 25, 2023, 01:13:56 PMJust curious about Abu modding: is there a reason to make tungsten carbide spindles for the 6500s? A local tackle shop claims to be stocking these.
Less likely to bend? Where is "local"

Barishi

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on February 25, 2023, 02:16:42 PM
Quote from: Barishi on February 25, 2023, 01:13:56 PMJust curious about Abu modding: is there a reason to make tungsten carbide spindles for the 6500s? A local tackle shop claims to be stocking these.
Less likely to bend? Where is "local"

Singapore. We gotta small community of sportscasters. Some guys crazy enough to chase big game on 6500s, one managed a 35kg ray on mono line.

While strength is one matter, if a hard running fish were to pull drag on a 6500, would the gears not strip before the spindle bends?