Need Advice On Drag Grease

Started by Walleye Guy, January 25, 2023, 04:27:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

I use Corroison X on bearings because I can actually find it in a shop on occasion, and use it on firearms as well. It works fine for 99% of my fishing. I have a few try-for-low-orbit surf casters where I may use Speed-X or Rocket Fuel, but honestly there are several tunes to play before I would notice the distance in practicality. Most notably, technique improved enough to determine the outer limits of C-X first. Corrosion Block may serve as a good intermediate between grease and -X. Little thicker if you don't need max speed.

John

Walleye Guy

Quick update: I disassembled my 6500C last night and smeared a light coat of the red Amsoil #2 grease on the Carbontex drag washers and reassembled it.  It feels better than when the drag washers were dry.  Now I have to decide whether to disassemble again, use brake cleaner to clean the Amsoil grease from the washers and reassemble using the Super Lube.  Either way, I just love how that reel looks.  It has the gun metal blue side plates and a chrome frame...it's beautiful.

PetesReelRepair

Quote from: handi2 on February 02, 2023, 04:18:12 PM
Quote from: PetesReelRepair on February 01, 2023, 01:47:53 AMA note on Cal's tan versus purple.  I service reels mainly for warm climates and yet I use purple at least up to but not including a 6000 size spinner, and also for smaller conventional reels, particularly those with casting action.  The tan is very thick and you have to be careful not to over apply it or it will result in a stiff reel.

As far as drags I grease them all and love the performance.  I didn't see anyone talk yet about "smoked" drags, meaning that a dry drag washer with high friction gets worn much faster in my experience than a greased one. 

Are you using it to Lube the reels?
Yes I use Cal's as my reel grease, purple or tan depending on reel size and type.  I don't always use Cal's exclusively but it's what I use on the gearing and in many other applications.

thorhammer

My gunmetal 5500 and 6500C's are some of my favs. Still use 5500C as first bass reel I pick up and it hasn't been serviced since Regan was in office but never fails a bit.

nelz

Quote from: Walleye Guy on February 03, 2023, 06:13:14 PMEither way, I just love how that reel looks.  It has the gun metal blue side plates and a chrome frame...it's beautiful.

Let's see some pictures man!

thorhammer

pointbob

Quote from: Walleye Guy on February 03, 2023, 06:13:14 PMQuick update: I disassembled my 6500C last night and smeared a light coat of the red Amsoil #2 grease on the Carbontex drag washers and reassembled it.  It feels better than when the drag washers were dry.  Now I have to decide whether to disassemble again, use brake cleaner to clean the Amsoil grease from the washers and reassemble using the Super Lube.  Either way, I just love how that reel looks.  It has the gun metal blue side plates and a chrome frame...it's beautiful.

what makes the super lube possibly better then the amsoil?
Patience comes to those who wait

Walleye Guy

Quote from: nelz on February 03, 2023, 08:29:18 PM
Quote from: Walleye Guy on February 03, 2023, 06:13:14 PMEither way, I just love how that reel looks.  It has the gun metal blue side plates and a chrome frame...it's beautiful.

Let's see some pictures man!

I'll take a couple pictures this weekend and post them on Monday.  She's a beauty! 

Walleye Guy

Quote from: pointbob on February 03, 2023, 09:15:06 PM
Quote from: Walleye Guy on February 03, 2023, 06:13:14 PMQuick update: I disassembled my 6500C last night and smeared a light coat of the red Amsoil #2 grease on the Carbontex drag washers and reassembled it.  It feels better than when the drag washers were dry.  Now I have to decide whether to disassemble again, use brake cleaner to clean the Amsoil grease from the washers and reassemble using the Super Lube.  Either way, I just love how that reel looks.  It has the gun metal blue side plates and a chrome frame...it's beautiful.

what makes the super lube possibly better then the amsoil?

I had the same question and from what I'm reading the Super Lube has teflon.  See the earlier response from jurelometer on page 1 for some interesting technical information about static and kinetic friction.

handi2

Quote from: PetesReelRepair on February 03, 2023, 07:53:55 PM
Quote from: PetesReelRepair on February 01, 2023, 01:47:53 AMA note on Cal's tan versus purple.  I service reels mainly for warm climates and yet I use purple at least up to but not including a 6000 size spinner, and also for smaller conventional reels, particularly those with casting action.  The tan is very thick and you have to be careful not to over apply it or it will result in a stiff reel.

As far as drags I grease them all and love the performance.  I didn't see anyone talk yet about "smoked" drags, meaning that a dry drag washer with high friction gets worn much faster in my experience than a greased one. 

Yes I use Cal's as my reel grease, purple or tan depending on reel size and type.  I don't always use Cal's exclusively but it's what I use on the gearing and in many other applications.

I use Yamaha marine grease. Nothing wrong with Cals other than the cost
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

pointbob

Quote from: handi2 on February 03, 2023, 10:55:02 PM

wouldnt a marine grease WITH teflon be the best of all worlds? 
Patience comes to those who wait

PetesReelRepair

Quote from: handi2 on February 03, 2023, 10:55:02 PM

I agree, it's expensive.  I started out with it years ago based on research I did for servicing my own reels.  The flip side is, you don't need very much of it.

I've considered other options including the one you've mentioned.  Just haven't looked deeply enough into the chemistry to have a well-formed opinion.  I read the lube debate threads on here with interest.

Brewcrafter

Hey, don't obsess too much - if the reel feels good and is working well - give it some field trials!  There may be a lot of differing opinions or methods on the Forum (that's what makes it work) but for the most part they will all be good and in many cases there is no ONE right answer.  Use the ABU, evaluate the performance over time, THEN worry about if the drag has to be stripped and relubed.  It sounds like you have a dynamite reel that is ready to perform right now.... - john

Walleye Guy

Here are the pictures I took over the weekend.  There are just a couple little flea bites in the finish but overall she's a beauty!  I took it apart, degreased it, polished every exterior part and reassembled it.  I used Armor All on the black handle since it was faded.  I also searched Ebay for a mint leather case for it and added the spare parts tube, oil vial and wrench from my own spare parts bin.  I can't wait to fish with it!

ps: if I may hijack my own thread, the new 3902 drag washer (which the seller said is Carbontex) is thinner than stock.  Am I supposed to use two of them instead of just one?  The other drag washer was originally a 7079 but I am using a 10271 which the seller said is Garcia's Carbontext replacement for the 7079.  The 10271 is a little bit thicker than the 7079 so maybe the new 3902 was made thinner to keep the overall height of the drag stack the same?

alantani

the extra thinness should not be a problem.  just crank down the star and see if it bottom's out.  it should not. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!