710z project

Started by Trucha, January 31, 2023, 07:51:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trucha

Hi all,

So I picked up a 710z in pretty good shape as a project this winter, and besides cleaning and lubing, this is the plan so far:

-704/706 pancake handle
-Mitchell 306/406 manual pickup
-712 gear and pinion for higher gear ratio

What else can I do to this reel?

Drag upgrades?
Bearings upgrades?
New drag knob?
Power knob (although I like the pancake knob)

I've searched the forum for ideas and tips (great resource), but is there anything I'm missing?

Long term, I may drill the rotor cup and spool and strip, sand, and polish it "Penn Staal" style, but that's a project for a future winter. 

Thanks all

Manta_Aquatics

Quote from: Trucha on January 31, 2023, 07:51:03 PMHi all,

So I picked up a 710z in pretty good shape as a project this winter, and besides cleaning and lubing, this is the plan so far:

-704/706 pancake handle
-Mitchell 306/406 manual pickup
-712 gear and pinion for higher gear ratio

What else can I do to this reel?

Drag upgrades?
Bearings upgrades?
New drag knob?
Power knob (although I like the pancake knob)

I've searched the forum for ideas and tips (great resource), but is there anything I'm missing?

Long term, I may drill the rotor cup and spool and strip, sand, and polish it "Penn Staal" style, but that's a project for a future winter.

Thanks all

Boca Abec 5 ceramic bearings.
Carbon drags
Handle knob.

Ceramic Bearings probably aren't necessary though unless you plan on dunking it.

-Jac

handi2

There is only one bearing supporting the pinion gear. Where it's located they get rusted and corroded all the time.

It's 3/8x7/8x9/32

I get the bearings with the rubber seals. Very easy to open and pack with Marine grease thinned with CorrosionX oil,

The reel showing is not a Z reel but it's the same bearing.

Another issue they have is the pinion bearing gets rusted in place. Most of the time you can put the rotor nut back on and pop it out with a screwdriver.

Sometimes you have to put the rotor nut on, secure it in a vise so you can carefully tap it off.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

thorhammer

The inside wasn't gonna get corroded! blechhhh. Well, it protected long enough like a Moisen in cosmoline for you to save it!