Here's something you don't see every day Tumwater #900

Started by CincyDavid, February 01, 2023, 12:06:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CincyDavid

I have seen pretty much ZERO reference to this brand of reel aside from one reference to the presumption that Olympic built their casting reels so it would seem logical that the spinning reels came from the same source. Bought today on FB Marketplace on a Conolon rod, along with several Penns and a total of 16 rods for the princely sum of $40

xjchad

That is really cool looking! Can't wait to see what the insides look like!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

CincyDavid

Pic of the inside.  Cleaner than I might have expected and almost dry.  Beats mountains of dried out old grease I suppose.

Donnyboat

Gee man what a great find, thats worth more than $40, dont you feel guilty, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

oldmanjoe

:)   Yes    You are in Snow Bird country , You are going to find a lot of strange things there .
            My father was forever finding the yard sale specials .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

foakes

The Tumwater 900 was a Japanese reel manufactured in the Mid 60's.

They also made a 860.

This is according to Ben Wright's Third Edition, in 2002.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

CincyDavid

Thanks Fred, I knew somebody would know.  I felt kinda funny taking all of those items for $40, but the feeling passed quickly.

On a semi-related note I want to clean it up but the foil label is already lifting.  Any thoughts on saving/salvaging that label?

xjchad

CincyDavid

foakes

Quote from: CincyDavid on February 01, 2023, 03:22:42 PMOn a semi-related note I want to clean it up but the foil label is already lifting.  Any thoughts on saving/salvaging that label?

I would just clean around the label —- not remove it (that will cause damage and wrinkles, and be worse) —- then after cleaning use some Tac-Glue, or similar to glue the loose edges —- and a plastic clamp to press the label tight for 30 minutes.

Also...Don't try cleaning the label with anything except a dry microfiber cloth with no cleaners.  Otherwise, the printing on the label will disappear.

Japanese trade reels generally had these foil labels because it was quicker, easier, and cheaper to procure the reels from a known manufacturer —- and just put a label on them that sounded like an American name we recognize.

Forget which Beer company had Tumwater in their advertising?

Olympia, Hamm's?

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

JasonGotaProblem

What's funny is it wasnt until just now that I realized its an M not an R and a N
I was reading "turnwater"
But I digress.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

xjchad

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on February 01, 2023, 04:43:17 PMWhat's funny is it wasnt until just now that I realized its an M not an R and a N
I was reading "turnwater"
But I digress.

LOL, me too Jason!

Midway Tommy

Interesting and somewhat unique drivetrain.

That YouTube dude annoys the heck out of me. He never includes anything worthwhile in his videos, just spins the silly things with no conversation. He'd probably get a lot more subscribers and repeat viewers if he talked a little and opened the reels up for a look-see.  :-\
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

CincyDavid

I wonder if the You Tube guy has a speech impediment or something.

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: CincyDavid on February 01, 2023, 06:01:08 PMI wonder if the You Tube guy has a speech impediment or something.
Ive often thought about running a camera while I do my various projects just because there's so much crap video out there (and I might as well make them look good) but one thing that slows me down is how much I hate my own voice and don't wanna narrate anything.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.