Southside Winter

Started by Gfish, February 01, 2023, 03:21:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gfish

The Southern shores of the Hawaiian  Islands can be as good as you can imagine for weather in the Wintertime. This year has been great! The typical NE Trade Winds have been mellow, and really wind directions have been all over the compass this year and mostly <10 mph. However, AM temps. have been pretty low, aprox. mid-60's. It dropped to 57F last week! Locals were bundling-up! I love the cold AM's though, 'cause the humidity is way down.

One wind/rainstorm in the last 2 days reminded me of how nice it's been. This Am had a 45min hwy delay from a down telephone pole.

Every water sport except surfing has been excellent. Including fishing. Whales not real plentiful so-far. I love 'em even though they scare me when I'm out close to 'em in my kayak. Your never know where they'll come up. One day I got Barracuda, Needlefish(my favorite fighters), Jacks, Big-Eyes(nocturnal reef predators) a long, skinny, Juvenal Hammerhead that fought like a champ, Moana(goatfish) and all the live bait I needed.

Some generalized pictures, not so great, but I refuse to risk losing/water damaging my expensive late model "stupid"-phone. Already ruined my old 7-S.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

pointbob

Awesome pics! Would love to hear more. Do you ever do video?
Patience comes to those who wait

Gfish

In the third picture above you see an off-color dot. That's a guy way out there, swimming like a seal. He clued me in on years long fishing mystery. What am I hooking(snagging) near the bottom, that is so darn heavy and moves so slowly? Never occurred to me: Rays! Have never seen one, never caught a little one. Broke many of 'em off. Tried to stay with a few so I could get a look. He was telling me about the one's he swam over and saw back where I's fishing and had just broke one off. So obvious that that's what it would be. Duh! We have 3 species here.

Lot's a fish around on the reef both bottom and top. Relatively cool surface temps.

"DA CRACK" a highly rated South-side treasure, for high-volume, healthy Mexican food. Get you some, head 1/2 mile to world renowned Poipu Beach and feast; food, bathing beauties( some really look like models, not surprising, it's a high-dollar resort area. I definitely see guy's that look like they play pro-sports cruzin around, Basketball and Football dudes are hard to miss), boogie boarding and snorkeling. There are beached Green Sea turtles at night and an occasional Monk seal in the daytime.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Gfish

Yes, pb. But only for my phone/Pad. I don't know how to upload videos to the Forum. Don't you gotta have some app or something?

Donnyboat

Gee Greg, never thought you feet would be more attractive than your face, or did it have something to do with the focas of you I phone, haa ha, cheers Don. Time you sent me some joke man.
Don, or donnyboat

El Pescador

Quote from: Gfish on February 01, 2023, 03:58:18 AMYes, pb. But only for my phone/Pad. I don't know how to upload videos to the Forum. Don't you gotta have some app or something?

Gfish!

Email them to me, and I'll post them for you.  We don't see a lot of Hawaii photos.  Jennifer and I were in Maui last fall, I need to post those photos.

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

oldmanjoe

Hey Greg  Those two marks at 22 and 25 foot heavy yellow are rays verses the other inverted v marks ? 
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

steelfish

nice pics and stories of your fishing day amigo.

The Baja Guy

reelynew

Nice photos.  My wife and I stayed near there 4 years ago. 

We ate at the da crack too.  Is the shaved ice place still next door? 

I fish because the voices in my head tell me to.

happyhooker

oc1

Great post Gregg.  Are you talking manta rays?