Diagonal side cutting pliers

Started by gstours, February 04, 2023, 06:43:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

As everyone uses some variation of the dikes,  these cutters are possibly a welcome addition to your toolbox?   Craftsman brand of tools have changed as most companies are gobbled up by another company.    Butt these seem to be very good in design and quality.  The number shown is the 8 inch model.  The compound action gives the cutters a noticeable advantage over the more simple models.
  These were found on e-bay for $20 including shipping.   I would recommend these for doing the job where your smaller ones become a pain.
  What are your thoughts? :cf

foakes

Those look really good, Gary —-

As well as a good value.

I use various cutters for different jobs ranging from fishing, fencing, cutting chains and locks, rivet and rusted bolt removal, etc.

For SS cable, bolts, and other tough metals —- the best I have found are these Knipex mini bolt cutters.  4 or 5 different sizes.  Multiplies your squeezing force by 40 times.  Chain, bolts, cable, chain link fencing, old nails —-

With one hand —- it is like a hot knife going through butter.

Plus, the unique design & tough construction keeps the alignment always as new.

The little one is on sale right now —- and I also have the 8" & 10".

The best side cutters I use regularly are the older Craftsmen, Klein, Crescent, and Knipex.

Even stretching and repairing fencing when a tree goes down —- is easy and a pleasure with these mini bolt cutters.

Best, Fred

https://www.kctool.com/knipex-71-01-160-6-25-cobolt-s-compact-bolt-cutter-plastic-grip/
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

happyhooker

Well, what about the newer Craftsman tools in general, as compared to the older ones?  In the "old" days, Craftsman and their warranty were well known and considered among the best tools out there.  Still true?  Opinions. please!

Frank

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

gstours

TANKS, as our good friend Sal wood have said,   I still miss that guy.... the only reason for posting this is to posibly help others.
   Pliers are like women,  butt thas were i leave this for your imagination. :-X
tools are very subjective to what the task is..... cutters for me come in many sizes and tasks......
 in the middle part of general for my home use most side cutters will work,  sometimes if several cuts are made with the some negative feeling in the known tasking outcome,  lets get someting better....
  These pliers shown were a good value, cutt well the heavier , harder wires, and hence the post.... :D
 Knipex is another good brand, and very high quality, butt this pliers was added to an already mostly knipex line up of my pliers drawer,  at 1/3 the price.....  Please attend me wifes tool sale soon when the big fish pulles me under. :d

Shellbelly

I'm a Klein guy when it comes to wire cutting tools.  No particular reason other than that's what most guys used in the electrical trades. 
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Bill B

Gary do you think the cutters would be able to easily cut fish hooks?  I'm thinking about when the unfortunate occasion you get a complete pass through of the finger and have to cut the barb end off.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Cuttyhunker

Get the Knipex that Fred posted....awesome!!
Depending on your hook sizes you may want to go a little bigger
Doomed from childhood

David Hall

I have used the 8" Knipex for cutting some pretty large hooks.  They will get the job done.

foakes

Quote from: David Hall on February 06, 2023, 06:40:52 PMI have used the 8" Knipex for cutting some pretty large hooks.  They will get the job done.

A no-excuses, easy to operate, quick, and effective pair of cutters is crucial when fishing offshore or shark fishing from shore.

They will cut cable, steel, hooks, lines efficiently and capably the first time.

Plus, like Bill said —- it is the easiest method to remove a hook from someone.

This should be part of your easily accessible tools in any offshore or surf kit.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Glos

I love side cutters.
So powerful and no repeats tool for the job.
Luck is when good preparation meets opportunity.

gstours

Thanks for the feedback............ :d     The Craftman pliers are pliers....I never made any claims nor should any reputable company that has to deal with the general puplic.......  Much like some of you have tested and tried I thought for the money,  make a reccomendation.
  As this design of pliers multiplys the crunch at the diag jaws it also, like in a bolt cutter takes more effot in lifting the handles more (wider) to open the cutting jaws tothe desired opening to accept the purchase.   
 In the quest of utopia for cutters,   Every tackle has its tackle.  Hd needs Hd.   Usually price alone puts a tool or other in a catagory .....  Use the tool for what it was desighned to do well.  If you have a Hook that is twice the diameter of the intensingened tool to use dont expect it to magicly to well,  if the wire, hook is heat treated, learn now,  hardness and diameter make for more difficult cutting. 
  My post was about simple wire cutter need.  for my cutting of .040 and .050 sst wire this cutter does good.   It should do you good with steel wire and most cables under 1/8 inch.   At a bargain price. ;)

MarkT

I have the 8" Knipex Cobalt's... 200mm. No problem cutting through 8/0 hooks. They're what I'd have to cut out of my hand on a really bad no good day!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!