C540 Will Not Engage Properly

Started by MACflyer, January 21, 2023, 11:13:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MACflyer

To clarify, the reel is operable now with several spacers behind the right bearing to keep the bearing in place. Apparently the plastic ridge in the right side plate bearing cavity, that stops the bearing from moving farther outboard, is completely worn down. In the meantime, I'm on the hunt for a Newell 540-3.2 right side plate since this model has a different Jack plate and jack lever setup than other Newells. I appreciate all the help from everyone: really enjoy and learn a lot from this site!

alantani

Quote from: Bryan Young on January 25, 2023, 07:58:19 AMPictures would help us too. Okay. It'll help me out trying to think of a resolution.

yeah, i was thinking the same thing. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Swami805

Pretty sure the only difference in the side plates is the slot for lever. No big trick to cut a slot. I've done that using blackie guts on other side plates so the lever fits. There will be an extra slot but it's not like those side plates are close to water tight. Kind of a hack but probably better than a stack of shims
Do what you can with that you have where you are

MACflyer

I'll give it a try Swami. The side plate was relatively inexpensive. I was concerned about water getting in, but I'm sure I can come up with something.

MACflyer

Here's what I found. The first pic is the replacement side plate with the bearing "shelf" intact. The second pic is the original side plate with the shelf worn out.

7D2299A0-7F76-448B-B332-7121035F0389.jpeg

9639BBFA-70A4-4D18-B08E-0A39013FCCF9.jpeg

Not sure why pics loaded twice???

MACflyer

My final post (I hope) with this reel. Took Swami's advice and cut a slot for the jack handle in the C533-5.5 side plate using a Dremel. Also needed to enlarge 4 of the 5 holes in side plate for the screws to fit through and mount to frame. Not much plastic to work with as diameter of plastic posts were a bit smaller than the original side plate's. In the end, the reel is working very well, and my friend will again get to fish with a reel that has nostalgic meaning to him.

Appreciate all the advice and support.