Bushings in a Newell?

Started by Swami805, March 23, 2023, 01:58:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swami805

First for me, never seen a bushing in a Newell before? I wonder if it came like that? It's in a later G model, not a later one
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Bryan Young

I have never heard of a Newell coming with a bushing.  I am aware that there were some that were offering brass and delrin bushings.  They came and went pretty quickly.  I still want to create a delrin or brass bushing for those that use the reels on kayaks or where they are constantly splashed like on the cliffs in Hawaii.  Like everything else...no time...
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Swami805

It's from the east coast. Could be a solution for a reel that gets dunked in the salt surf casting. Probably an after market solution to crunchy bearings. I cleaned them up but free spool wasn't great, good enough for casting a heavy sinker
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Sheridan, that looks like the same bushing that came in most of the Lee Pro Jigmaster plates that I have seen.

Cor

I once tried it, and the early Shimano 20/40 stars had one bushing.
It works, lasts, is much easier to service and clean and I do think for surf fishing where reels constantly get wet it,s a good idea as it will save $.

I my case, I fairly quickly went back to bearings, I could notice it when casting and that's what we do all day.   Our reels do not get wet unless on a boat and I even used chrome steel bearings without many problems.
Cornelis

foakes

Quote from: Vintage Offshore Tackle on March 23, 2023, 06:31:55 AMSheridan, that looks like the same bushing that came in most of the Lee Pro Jigmaster plates that I have seen.

You are absolutely right, Randy —-

I have a few hundred of those Lee-Pro plates for Jigmasters —- and some have the brass bushings

Another group of a few hundred 4/0's with frames —- all have bearings.

The purple one in the photo is an example of a Jig-master plate with a brass bushing.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

jigmaster501

The late Howie Fidel of Brooklyn was a machinist who made gears, bushings and sleeves for replacement bearings (squidders) in addition to other custom parts.

I have some of the bushings that he made for the newells so you could use a penn spool in a newell reel. The bushing had a sleeve on it, sort of like the bushing on a penn reel that the pinion slides over.

These are great additions. Don't lose them.

Eugene