Rapala JSR-5(Jointed)

Started by jgp12000, February 02, 2024, 01:02:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgp12000

This time of year I generally target crappie,they seem to bite better in colder weather.IMHO the best tasting fish.The 1st largest crappie(2-lb,15") I ever caught was on a Rapala SR-5,not huge but my PR at the time. I have never tried one in my pond,but I found a Rapala JSR-5 (Blue Shad) in one of my tackle boxes I had bought after a trip,my fishing "buddie" was catching bass left and right while I was getting skunked.He smiled/laughed and graciously loaned me one,then I began catching bass likewise.Yesterday I tied the  Rapala(Blue Shad) JSR-5 on,3rd cast BAM! a 5-lb Bass.Then a 2-lber,then I lost the lure in a Christmas tree.I have always had success with the countdown minnows through the years as well,but this a.m.I ordered what I could on Amazon to be stocked up for a while.Years ago we use to Bass fish docks at night with shad raps,and always caught fish. I think the jointed shad raps are even better, they can't resist them.

https://www.academy.com/p/rapala%C2%AE-jointed-shad-rap%C2%AE-2-lure?sku=blue

JasonGotaProblem

Interesting. I've been wondering lately which swimbaits are worthwhile. A friend of mine tends to fish with $40 lures, and i make fun of him when he gets mad every time he loses one, where I smile and tie a new one when I lose a senko or one of my home tied bucktails. But he catches a lot more fish than I do. So maybe there's something to it.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

jgp12000

Jason,
I am not sure if you would call this a swim bait,but the (Lake Fork Trophy Lures Sickle Tail Baby Shad - Black Pearl)Is my goto jig in my pond or any unknown waters.I use a 1/16oz jig head with it.If they are biting they will hit this.I have caught bass,bream,crappie,& even 1 catfish with these.I have wondered how they would fair in saltwater,I am sure flat fishing they might do good?Black Pearl is probably the most natural color/action I have found. You can order them directly from Lake Fork as well.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/lake-fork-trophy-lures-sickle-tail-baby-shad?hvarAID=shopping_googleproductextensions&ds_e=GOOGLE&ds_c=BPS%7CShopping%7CPMax%7CFishing%7CGeneral%7CNAud%7CNVol%7CNMT&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAwvKtBhDrARIsAJj-kThxrz1EPM7Th_FJpU-u_PWuG9tNAS0d2honC4I5lHegNVeLYTC96_IaAkn9EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

ExcessiveAngler

Always been a fan of Rapala's, since I was very young fishing freshwater!
Pretty sure that's a deep diver, without actually looking it up. Caught so many giant bass and large panfish in the corners of lakes and ponds here in southern NJ.
Didn't really matter which size you used either, was more about action and depth.
Obviously, you can't run a deep diring a couple feet of water. Unless you have no choice, but to cut the lip off, because you lost your last shallow diver lol!
The good old, original black back with the silver sides was always a killer color.
Pretty sure I remember them, saying made in Finland, as I stole them out of my 1-4 older brothers tackleboxes lol!
Maybe, that's why they hated me lol!
Gonna have to go dig up my freshwater gear as it's been quite mild, but really rainy here so far this winter. Hopefully I have a few husky jerks stored away, don't freshwater fish as much as I used to anymore. Let me go click on your link, after I post my reply, so I don't lose it lol.

jgp12000

Them Rapala hooks are sharp!!! I always use pliers to unhook the Fish.Buddy of mine once night fishing had a bass jerk the treble hook Barb deep into a knuckle no pushing Through, had to be cut out at the ER.He was holding the bass by the lip not the body.I put a death grip on them just behind the head if possible or if its a big fish, lay the fish on the ground hold it with your opposite foot ,for me(left foot/right hand) to unhook with pliers.