ATD spool bearings

Started by CandR, February 22, 2012, 03:14:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CandR

Anyone ever have this problem, or have ideas how to "fix" this?

I have an ATD12, and the spool bearings are tough to get out- I have to knock them out pushing through the other end of the spool with a long tool.  Getting them in, is even more difficult. Tight is an understatement. Its as if they need to be pressed in. I have to bang the crap out of them to get them in.  That can't be good.

I have an ATD30, and ATD50, and the bearings pop in and out easy.

Can I sand the inside of the spool to take off a few hundreths of material for a better fit? I tried two sets of bearings, and they're all extremely tough to seat/dislodge.

Thanks!
Ted

Irish Jigger

Jimmer

When installing or removing a tight bearing try to only make contact with the outside bearing race. pounding on the inner one can cause brinneling - denting of the races or balls, destroying the bearing.
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

alantani

ok, this is really tricky.  the heavy duty anodizing can add a couple of thousanths to an aluminum surface.  what started out as a "slip fit" now becomes a "pressed fit" and it a real pain to deal with.  to remove a spool bearing that is "pressed" in, you have to bang on it from the inside and that can easily damage the bearing.  yeah, been there, done that.   >:(  so what i've started doing is taking the sanding wheel of a dremel and sanded off the anodizing.  look, this can turn out ugly if you sand away too much material.  if you get it just right, you will have a perfect "slip fit" and all will be good.  if you grind away too much, the bearing will wobble around in the bearing cup.  when the reel is assembled and you spin the spool, it will rumble like crazy.  it will sound like a bad bearing, when actually it is a bad bearing cup. 

accurate is not the only reel with this problem.  penn internationals are trouble as well.  shimino is the only reel that has been perfect every time. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

CandR

Thanks guys for the responses.

Yeah, i figured banging on the bearings was not a good thing, though no other way to get them in/out, unless I Macguyver some sort of press, like I've seen folks come up with to install the AR bearing on some reels.

I saw the other post, and Alan's comments about carefully grinding off corrosion/anodizing with a dremel.  I had my dremel out, but thought I'd ask before doing something regrettable.

I looked up the price for a new ATD12 spool- list price was ~$80, so it's not fatal if I screw up. Was just hoping there was an alternative solution.

I guess I could send it back to Accurate and ask them to make my spool a slip-fit, but that will cost me $30 for the round trip UPS, and a few weeks of waiting, if they would even entertain doing the job.

alantani

just figure that the original bearings are a loss, then go slow with the dremel.  it's not hard, just tedious. 

Irish Jigger

I'm not familiar with Accurates but if the housing is aluminium I would drop it is boiling water and punch the old bearings our. Similarly heat,dry and carefully press in replacement bearings ensuring that the housing is firmly supported on a hardwood block.

CandR

yes, housing is aluminum.  that routine may be fine for a once in a while service, but trying to cut a spool sleeve for this reel has been a challenge, given the bearings issue.

i will break out my dremel, and give it a try......

Alan- removing anodizing on this part of the spool- potential issues down the road, or routine maintenance should head off any corrosion? or will I not be removing that much anodizing to make a difference?

alantani

yes, you will be down to the bare metal.  a coat of grease is essential!  the grease will be stuck inbetween the bearing and the bare metal of the spool.  it will be fine. 

REK

Is the spool filled with line? Had this problem with a couple of brand reels. Could not service the bearings without unspooling the line. Seems the line compresses the spool a bit. Unspooled and the bearings popped out easy.

hafnor

How about putting the whole spool with bearings into hot water, that way the metal will expand and then spray hard with carb cleaner or brake cleaner on the bearing, that way the bearing will cool down rapidly and shrink in size....?

CandR

didnt matter- spectra, or not, getting bearings out was tough, but getting them in was much more difficult.

Tile

Use a dremel tool with a fine flexible sanding attachment and sand away the anodising until the bearings go in and out easily. This should be done with care and patience. After the job polish the bearing cups and then put grease (put it on all non-exposed surfaces).
In solid fiberglass we trust

CandR

Hi,

I have to report an update on this.  So, I emailed Accurate, and asked them if they could drill out the bearing cups for a cleaner, smoother fit of the spool bearings. I was told no, they couldnt do it, and I should just order a new spool.

Ok, it was worth a shot. So, I called Accurate, and asked to order a new spool for my ATD12- No problem. I was transferred to someone else, and they started taking down my mailing address, and personal info, when this person inquired why I needed a new spool. I explained the ridiculous fit of the bearings, and they exclaimed, "Oh no, that is a warranty issue! That is a defective spool that should never have left the factory.  Send us the spool, we will drill out the bearing cups, strip the spool, and re-anodize it for you. Oh, by the way, this is George Cardenas, production manager, and the buck stops with me."  I was like, are you freaking kidding me? I couldnt get home fast enough to strip the spectra off the spool, and drop it in the mail the next day.

About 2 weeks later, I got a call from George telling me that drilling out the cups was too much of a hassle, and he was going to send me a brand new spool.  It took a couple of weeks, but wow. Is that stand-up service, or what???

As if I needed another reason to love my accurate reels.

Happy customer......

wallacewt

that is a good story,no a bloody ripper
cheers :D