Bretton fishing reels, any thoughts?

Started by CincyDavid, February 28, 2023, 03:52:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CincyDavid

I am bidding on a couple of Bretton 804 reels on that big auction site.  Anybody have any experience with them? To be perfectly frank I just thought the silverish hammered finish looked cool and that's what sparked my interest.

happyhooker

I know what you mean about the somewhat unique appearance these reels make.  There have been posts on this AT site before about some of these reels; I, myself, have never held one.

Frank

Midway Tommy

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

CincyDavid

Thanks! The red plastic AR lever turned me off the 400 series for sure. Let's see if I win one of these 804s...or both.

Midway Tommy

Don't let daBay kid you, David, you ain't winning, you're just plain buying if you are so inclined to pay the price.  ;D
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

CincyDavid

handi2

Maybe Fred can remember for me.

I sent him a very nice well made full travel multipack rod with the reel, tackle, lures, line etc

I think it was a Heddon
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

foakes

Here is the one that Keith gifted me some years ago.

Martin merged or bought out Bretton —- so this pristine old maroon reel is a Martin-Bretton

This is a complete travel package.

Both Martin and also Bretton were good manufacturers of quality tackle.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

CincyDavid

Good looking reel Fred! Thanks for the pics.

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Rancanfish

I swear Keith has an in with the 'reel fairy'.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

CincyDavid

The reel arrived just now. Initial impression, smaller than I expected, serial number on the foot, really like the greenish silver hammered finish. I'll dig into it next week some time, have company coming tomorrow for most of next week and will be busy being host.

handi2

I especially liked the rod that came with Fred's Travel kit. Extra pieces to have the action you want. It was well built.

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Walter61

The old Brettons are very good reels especially the gearing.

1., Bretton 602, Bj. ca. 1952
2., Bretton 804 Mod. 1, Bj ca. 1956
3., Bretton 804 Mod. 2, Bj.ca. 1958
4., Bretton 804 de luxe, Bj. ca. 1958
5., Bretton 400, Bj. ca. 1958

happyhooker