Rothenberger Crimping Tool a/k/a Soft-Touch Ultra-Light crimping tool- Set Screw

Started by Squidder Bidder, March 02, 2023, 08:21:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Squidder Bidder

Hello Ohana:

I purchased this crimping tool from Melton Tackle several years ago as identified in this article from Sportfishing: https://www.sportfishingmag.com/gallery/photo-galleries/2012/05/adjusting-crimping-tools/  (it is the red poly handled crimper shown in pictures 6-9 from the top).

I lost track of it in storage, and although it isn't visibly corroded I can't seem to budge the set screw which locks the cam into place and allows adjustment of the tool even after a lengthy soak of the set screw with PB Blaster. The set screw is a 5/64 hex head and I think in my attempts I may have started to strip the set screw head. I may need to take measures which will destroy the set screw itself just to get it out of the tool so that the tool can be adjusted and put into use. In such a case, I will need a replacement set screw. I tried calling the number at  www.cmstools.us with no answer and emailed with no response.  :o

Does anyone out in Tani-land use this crimping tool, and if so do you have a spec on the set screw's length/pitch? Rothenberger appears to make other tools (i.e., a PEX Crimping tool) which use the same cam-and-set screw adjustment, so I'd bet that the set screws on all of the tools are standard but I can't seem to find a replacement.

Thanks!

oldmanjoe

I would hit the screw with a hammer a few times , It will do two things it will shock the screw and also close up allen wrench socket a little and the wrench will fit tighter again .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Squidder Bidder

MYSTERY SOLVED

To add to the forum's repository of useful information, be advised that the correct thread pitch and diameter for this tool is #6-32 and the correct length is 1/4 inch.

I was able to order a ten pack from the jungle website:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CL1BBL2?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

These screws were the correct button head with a 5/64 allen recess, just like the OEM screw.

It fit like a glove. Of course, I took pains to grease the threads well this time. An ounce of prevention and so forth  . . .