Snap Rings

Started by PacRat, April 10, 2023, 05:43:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PacRat

I'm hoping one of you will know a source for these. I took my Craftsman ratchet apart last night to give it the 'Ohana' treatment and this snap rich rocketed across the garage. There are repair kits on e-bay but they are $50 and you can get a new ratchet for $30.

I made a new one from a round spring but it doesn't work as good as I would like. The good news is that it works better than before I cleaned and lubed it.

foakes

Yes you can get a rebuild kit, Mike —-

In the old days, before Sears went Oscar Bravo —-

They would give you a new ratchet (junk) or a free rebuild kit.

But that ship has sailed.  Not sure what Sears online policy is nowadays.  Might shoot them an email.

What size is your ratchet?  1/4", 3/8", 1/2"?

What is the model number on the handle?

If you are at a swap meet or yard sale —- you can likely pick up a used ratchet for $5 to $10 —- then rob the ring.

If I have an old Craftsman ratchet of the proper size that is not working —- I would be glad to rob the ring and toss the ratchet in the trash.

When MC doesn't have something I need — I generally stop wasting my time looking or driving around —- and plan "B"is a donor to rob parts from.

You might get lucky and Craftsman will send you a repair kit.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

PacRat

Thanks Fred,
Apparently some Sears stores would give you the rebuild kit, either for free or for $0.01 to appease the cash register. Now the kit seems to cost more than a used ratchet. This is the old 'V' series 1/2". It's not very precision but it is a beast.

McMaster-Carr was my first go-to. They have some that might work for $15 for a lifetime supply. These are formed from square wire. I improvised a temporary fix from a coil cut from a round wire spring. I'm just hoping these might be commonly used for something else so I could pick up just a couple.

This is one at McMaster-Carr that I'm tempted to try if I can't find the correct part.

vilters

Hey Mike,
the pic from McMaster-Carr looks like an external snap ring. there's a hardware store near me that sells both external and internal snap rings individually. i'd be happy to pick up for you, couldn't get there until the weekend. just let me know which internal or external and the size if you want me to .
Steve

PacRat

I appreciate the offer but I think I will also check my local hardware store. They have a better selection than the big box stores.

This is a strange one. It holds the selector lever inside the housing so it fits into grooves in both the ID of the housing and the OD of the selector. You squeeze it all the way into the selector lever. insert the lever into the housing, then release it so that it expands and fills both the ID and OD. Such a simple part but not as common as it once was. I think the one from McMaster-Car will work but I may need to fit it a little bit. It may even be better because then I could use snap-ring pliars to remove it. The original design requires you to pinch the ears together. I was using 90 degree needle nose pliars with smooth jaws which likely contributed to the ring launching while I was celebrating my short-lived success.

PacRat

Good news! I found my snap-ring. The one I made has proved challenging to remove. I'll post photos when done.

JasonGotaProblem

I have a bin of them in different sizes if it flies again.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

foakes

I looked at a few of my ratchets —- the Craftsman's have a more modern snap ring which we are used to.

However, an old SK has the type of snap ring you pictured, Mike.

So SK might be a source for the future or for others.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

happyhooker

It can be a real hassle to find what seems to be so simple a part.  Snap rings, "C" clips, "E" clips and such seem to be a real bugaboo for me.  Good to know about that SK Fred mentioned.

Frank

PacRat

So I went on a deeper search today. I heard the clip impact somewhere overhead but never heard it hit the floor. After re-arranging several shelves full of parts, there it was right between two cardboard boxes. The first photo shows the original clip sitting next to the ratchet and my homemade version installed and holding it together.

Here are both clips (improvised and original). I made the improvised version from memory and comparing to the larger clip on the other side. The ratchet performs like new again. Fred, I ran it through the ultrasound, the old grease was like glue and causing it to skip. This thing has taken a beating over the years and has survived breaker bars and junk-yard funk. I probably used it for a hammer more times than I should admit. I expect it to last me another 35 years now.

Thanks for the help.