Far Cast

Started by oldmanjoe, March 02, 2023, 09:51:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldmanjoe

I just got this reel and i can figure out how this level wind works !   :fish
  I can`t find a schematics 
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

JasonGotaProblem

What level wind? Musta been the parts left on the bench
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

oc1

It's not a levelwind.  It's a casting brake. 

Shellbelly

Quote from: oldmanjoe on March 02, 2023, 09:51:42 PMI just got this reel and i can figure out how this level wind works !  :fish
  I can`t find a schematics

Oooooh!  Gotta take it apart and see what's inside!  That one is high on my list.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

oldmanjoe

Well My first post was to see what was biting . >:D   
    I have a penn with a casting brake and finely bought the O C version just to see how it works .

I will give a quick break down because the crank side is simple O C design .
  I was going to start taking it apart  on the left side but thought it better to start from the right side .

Was not sure what linkage was so i removed the right plate .
This is what you see a hinge pin screw .

After you remove the screw you can swing the bail out of the way ,and the beauty ring . this will let the spool free to come out .

Now you can see the little spring that connects the bail bar to the adjusting cam.

A little push and lift on the cam side to release the spring .

Now you can safely remove the left side plate .   And just like the right side , the left side has the same hinge screw arrangement

The brake is a simple leather band that rubs the side of the spool , when the bar is in the up position .
  The spring and dial just adds more tension when you dial it up .

A quick clean up , a little paint and reassemble .

Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Shellbelly

So, you don't necessarily need to over-tighten the bushings for casting heavier weight.  Does the screw lock the adjustment knob?  I wonder if the numbers have a specific value and if I'll I have to punch out an old belt for replacement leather when I get one of these.  Imagine carrying leather in your tackle box just for your reel...right next to the shear pins for the prop.

Thank you for opening that one up for us.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

oldmanjoe

Quote from: Shellbelly on March 08, 2023, 04:42:18 AMSo, you don't necessarily need to over-tighten the bushings for casting heavier weight.

Please don`t get in that habit, all it does is mushrooms the spool shaft and make it hard to remove the spool from the end bearing .

Does the screw lock the adjustment knob?       No it just holds the knob on the shaft.

I wonder if the numbers have a specific value       No it is just a reference .