Early D.A.M. Quick Juniors

Started by Midway Tommy, February 28, 2023, 04:06:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midway Tommy

D.A.M., the long standing company known as German Fishing Tackle Manufacturer, took about a ten year hiatus during WWII. D.A.M. re started production of spinning reels in late 1948. As a result of political and financial difficulties D.A.M decided to reestablish their production in West Berlin, i.e. SW68. It's been reported that they opened a new and updated factory in late 1955. Most of the older D.A.M. Quick reels we see today came from there. Since some reels said to be made prior to the opening of the new 1955 factory, and parts, have SW68 embossed on them there is some confusion, at least in my mind, as to what part ofBerlin those parts and reels were actually manufactured and/or produced. 

In late 1951 D.A.M. introduced the Quick Junior № 240 spinning reel as a cheaper option to their well received Quick Standard reel. The Junior was built in a simpler and more economical factor and was derived from its predecessor. The similarity is clearly noticeable as the spool of the Junior has the same dimensions as the spool of the Quick Standard. The earliest Juniors have what is considered a "Heart Shaped" body. The first model, the 51/52 version, has a full bail that operates with a simple external bail trip. In 1953 the model 53 was introduced. The 53 has an altered bail mechanism with automatic internal bail trip. In 1954 the model 54 was introduced with an altered housing which is considered an "Egg Shaped" body. The egg shaped body style lasted, in numerous variations, until the Junior was discontinued in the early 1960s. All of the D.A.M. Quick Junior reel variations have an anti-reverse mechanism.

I've had this Olive Green 51/52 version of the Junior for a number of years and serviced it about eight years ago but didn't document the process.  An interesting feature of this specific reel is that the spool is made from what is called a Prestoffmaterial, similar to Micarta. Some of those spools were brown and some were black. In conjunction with the external bail trip it has a somewhat unique external bail spring as seen in the photo.

I picked up a well used wine red 53 "Heart Shaped" body version awhile back for fairly cheap. Since I didn't document the service on the 51/52 and the reels appeared to be very similar I decided to take a few photos and document the procedure on this one.

It wasn't terribly dirty but I don't think this reel had been cleaned in quite some time. I scraped quite a bit of old grease out of the body cavity.  Here are a couple of photos showing some of the grunge, which wasn't terrible.

Here's the drag washer conglomeration that was in it when I removed the spool. The drag is supposed to have wool/felt washer on the bottom and the keyed metal washer on top, which, in fact, the 51/52 model has. I suppose they added the extra small metal washers to compensate for the thickness of the felt washer. There wasn't much adjustment to that concoction. I thought about adding a couple of Mylar washers but that grouping had practically no drag adjustment variation. I didn't have any wool washers so I substituted a fiber washer. There's still not much adjustment but it works. Maybe I'll try to beg a wool/felt washer from Fred someday when I need some other parts.

During disassembly I scraped off and removed all the grease I could and then proceeded with my usual process of soaking all the unpainted metal parts in a lacquer thinner jar. I also performed my normal Original White Goop scrub & warm water Dawn wash on all the painted and plastic parts. After a couple of days soaking and a good cleaning and wire brush/burnishing of all the soaked metal parts and others were ready to reassemble. All the inside parts and screw holes get protected with Super Lube and synthetic oil were where oil is required.

Before my fingers got greasy I started with the spool and installed the simple click dawg and spring. The drag stack is simple with only two washers so they'll go in later when the spool and drag knob are installed.

While my hands still aren't greasy I install the bail spring and bail arm. This is the easiest way to install a bail and not have to struggle with the process. This reel utilizes one bail spring. I use ArmorAll as a lubricant in these locations because it stays slick and doesn't collect dirt & grime. It's easy to add a little at anytime if needed. The opposite side from the bail arm on these Juniors has a fitting that that is pressed into the rotor cup. The bail is crimped inside that fitting and it worked just fine so I decided to leave it intact rather than taking the chance of buggering it up. I flushed it thoroughly when I cleaning the rotor and other parts.

Since I've already installed the bail spring, bail arm and line guide it's time to install the bail trip lever.

The next step is to put together main shaft tube, bushing and pinion gear so that it can be attached to the rotor. There's a Teflon washer that goes between the brass tube flange and bushing. I also install the bail trip stud at this time.

The brass tube is expanded in the center where the slot is so I use a mini squeeze clamp to press it over the expanded area.

Once the bushing is slid on all the way it's time to install the pinion gear. The pinion gear is secured in place by two very small screws. There are a lot of small screws on these little reels. They sure challenge old fat fingers.

Now that the tube, bushing & pinion are installed it's time to attach the rotor to the body. The tube is held in place by a screw into the body at the rear of the tube.

The next step is to install the main shaft and crosswind block. There's a block on the back of the crosswind block that fits in the groove in the main shaft. A Teflon washer goes between the click gear and spool.

Next I install the main gear and side plate. The anti reverse is a beveled plunger type that is activated by a lever and detent type spring. The securing nut for the mechanism is slotted. I couldn't get it to budge, everything worked as it should, so I thoroughly flushed it multiple times with mineral spirits to get rid of any residue that might be inside. The anti reverse plunger, when engaged, rides against recessed divots on the back side of the main gear. That's what makes the clicking sound. You can see those recessed areas in the earlier photo showing the cleaned parts.

It's time to install the handle, spool, drag washers & drag knob.  As I referenced earlier I considered adding a couple of Mylar washers but they didn't work well so I just added a fiber washer under the large keyed metal washer. This reel has the flat collapsible style handle that later became mainstay on the Junior reels. It also has a pinned rubber handle knob, which is somewhat unique to this version.

I decided to take the side plates off of both reels for a side-by-side comparison. As you can see, internally, there isn't much difference.

Here are are a couple of photos both reels and a look into the past.

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Steelyfinn

Thanks for a very nice tutorial and history on this reel.

I haven't had the pleasure of opening one of these up, and this will sure help when I do.

Jon

foakes

Great tutorial and explanations, Tom —-

I haven't personally done too much with the earlier or later Juniors —- because of the fact you state that they were a more affordable reel made with less robust materials and drive trains.

However, I have worked on quite a few —- and do have two large cases of just Jr. Parts, plus another case of new cranks.

Had quite a few of the heart shaped bodies —- but I gave those away to a collector in Europe years ago.  Might have one or two left.  Plus a lot of parts and bodies for the 240/245's.

Never fished one.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

happyhooker

Nice look at some things you don't see that often.  Thanks, Tommy.

Frank

Walter61

Super Tommy, very nicely done with the juniors.
Here is a picture of two green juniors, the one on the left is the older one.

Greetings Walter

Midway Tommy

Nice! Thanks for posting those pics, Walter! I've never seen an example of the one on the left.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Bora

Excellent info, gentlemen. Thank you for taking the time to post.

I wonder what the marketing logic was behind naming this reel 'junior' [besides lower grade perhaps]? Seems it was not because of smaller size, at least, as Tommy notes same diameter with Standard model.

Do you reckon it was meant to target 'junior' as in younger demographic to get into the sport?

Kind of reminds me of some of the 'lady' marketed reel models out today, which also seems silly to me...

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Bora on March 15, 2023, 10:57:27 PMExcellent info, gentlemen. Thank you for taking the time to post.

I wonder what the marketing logic was behind naming this reel 'junior' [besides lower grade perhaps]? Seems it was not because of smaller size, at least, as Tommy notes same diameter with Standard model.

Do you reckon it was meant to target 'junior' as in younger demographic to get into the sport?

Kind of reminds me of some of the 'lady' marketed reel models out today, which also seems silly to me...

The spools are the same size but the body of the Junior is much lighter and smaller. I didn't put either on a scale but I bet the "Heart Shaped" Juniors weigh 40% or less than the Standard.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Gfish

Just from the pictures, the construction/design looks pretty robust. Maybe I judging them based on non-Quick reels...

The included history section on tutorials is always a big +! Good one Tommy.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Barishi

Quote from: Bora on March 15, 2023, 10:57:27 PMExcellent info, gentlemen. Thank you for taking the time to post.

I think the junior refers to the reel being cheaper. I once asked Alan Hawk why worm geared reels (i.e Penn 704/DAM Quick Super/Abu Suveran) went out of style, and he told me something about worm gearing being too costly/complex. The DQ junior appears to be a bevel geared reel.

I'm no engineer/historian, this is a casual observation. 

Walter61

I weighed the DAM Junior and the DAM Quick.
Junior 243g and Quick 355g
Here some more pictures.

And the spools, left Junior, rigth Quick

Bora

Ah, well then, "Junior" makes perfect sense, from a no nonsense brand.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Barishi on March 16, 2023, 10:06:51 AMI think the junior refers to the reel being cheaper. I once asked Alan Hawk why worm geared reels (i.e Penn 704/DAM Quick Super/Abu Suveran) went out of style, and he told me something about worm gearing being too costly/complex. The DQ junior appears to be a bevel geared reel.

I'm no engineer/historian, this is a casual observation. 

That and a little smoother and quieter, temporarily, until they get stressed a little and worn.

Thanks for weighing, Walter! I was going to do that today and you saved me from having to dig everything out.  ;D  I'm a little surprised, though, I thought there might be a little more difference between the two.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE