Trouble with 110/265 Spool

Started by Balvar24, March 11, 2023, 03:27:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balvar24

I think the release button sticks out too far on one of my spool or I need to adjust a bail.

Sometimes when the bail trips, I end up laying line around the button.  It's happened several times.

Can the button be adjusted?  For this one particular spool, it protrudes a bit farther than my others.

Thoughts?

foakes

Sometimes this does happen —-

My method to prevent this is to drop the brake/spool spindle into a jar of lacquer thinner when cleaning all of the other metal non-painted parts.  Then the jar goes into the ultrasonic cleaner for about 10 minutes.

This removes all of the tiny crud up inside the brake spindle that we can't get to, or is hidden and not accessible.

Then I blow dry the part and use a fine wire wheel on one of my bench mounted mini grinders to clean up the exterior brass part, as well as the top and underside of the attached ratchet wheel.

When it is shiny as new inside and out —- I then assemble the spool.  A drop of oil goes inside the shaft hole —- and I also drip 1 drop of oil above and down past the chrome release button.

If this doesn't do it —- I just replace the brake spindle with a new one.

Try this method —- you don't need an ultrasonic cleaner —- but it helps.  Lacquer thinner and a Q-Tip will work nearly as well.

I also put a small drop of oil on the top part of the spool shaft —- this helps the tiny spring-loaded keeper to operate more freely.

Also, if using good mono line that is not loose or coiled —- this shouldn't happen.

4/6 pound quality mono is easily to stretch straight.

I have plenty of spindles if you want to try a new one.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Balvar24

I'll tear it down and clean it.

It actually happened with brand new 2lb line from Trout magnet.

Managed to get a different 256 and 110 back up and going this morning.

Thanks.

foakes

Yeah, 2 pound mono is tough for me to fish with —- it catches the wind and air too easily, plus breaks pretty easily.

Sort of like fishing with a spider web.

I just use 4 pound Trilene XT.  I buy it in bulk spools from my supplier.

If you need a spindle —- let me know.

I think your cleaning it will make it better, though.

It is easy to overlook or not do the things that don't show.

When we get past that thought process —- our reel work results expand to a higher level.

Another thing not generally known — although the part number is the same in the 265 and the 110 — the lower portion of the spindles are completely different.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Balvar24

Right.  It's actually a spool from a 265.  I swapped a 110 spool in on the fly to keep fishing last summer.  Looked like someone has had issue in the past with it.  I found a copper washer between the spool and brake spindle.

I can see where that ultrasonic cleaner would be handy as well.

Balvar24

You ever had the counterweight smack the pins on the back of the spool?  I swapped spools, as well as the axle to one with a stout retainer spring.  Still, I'm getting a tapping.

Thinking it may stop when on a rod and strung up.

foakes

I don't believe mounting the reel on a rod will stop the clicking.  This is in the reel —- not the rod.

A few causes —-

Rivet under spool slightly proud.

Clicker spring end too long or upside down orientation.

Under-spool resistex washer worn thinner.

Loose counterweight.

A few fixes —-

Make sure that the rivet is inserted fully into spool bottom.

Make sure any springs are not touching spool bottom on downward travel.

Add an extra under-spool resistex washer —- won't affect line lay —- and is a quick fix.

Make sure counterweight is snug.

Other fixes could be to just file a few strokes on the river, make sure the rotor is not tweaked or out of round.

Some of these possible issues are unlikely —- but since you swapped spools and the issue was still there —- it is either in you spool assembly process or the reel.

Pics would help us —- and I am not clear if you are mounting the spools on a 110 or a 265 Microlite.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

Balvar24

It's a 110 reel and spool.  Slight tension from line pulling against the spool would be enough to alleviate it.  The weight in this one is slightly proud compared to others that I have.

Haven't found swapping the resistex washer completely quells it, but adding a second one does.

foakes

Good!

I would call it done.

The resistex washers get worn down a little over the decades.

Matter of fact, the 1000/1001 uses (2) stacked together under the spool.

One thing that likely most of us already know —- but for those who don't —- when a spinning reel is in storage, slightly loosen the drag knob.  This will save the drag stack and tension spring.

Second thing, many spinning reels have the ability to fold the bail backwards against the body.  This keeps the bail spring fresh and not under constant pressure when not in use.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

Balvar24

How are the counterweights attached?

Glue, solder?

foakes

Quote from: Balvar24 on March 18, 2023, 10:33:16 PMHow are the counterweights attached?

Glue, solder?

It appears to be pressed tight into place.

There are a couple of round holes on the opposite side where it looks like the hidden insert nubs attached to the blind side of the counterweight are slightly center peened to hold them in place. Like most counterweights in vintage non skirted spool spinners —- the counterweight is made of a softer material that is malleable such as lead.  Easy to press in place with a machine in the factory —- before painting.

The counterweight is sold as part of the rotor —- it is not offered as a separate part.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

Balvar24