Tekota 700 rebuild question

Started by LAChamp, May 02, 2009, 12:18:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike ferdinands and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

LAChamp

Hey Alan,
I have one, serviced it following your post as I do with all my reels and put an Avet 4/0 handle grip on it. It's the one I covered with Hypalon. http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/avet-reels-support/64116-fitted-hypalon-handle-cover-4-02w.html

Watch for pictures of my Tekota 700 with it soon on Bloody Decks reel forum. I have a 5/0 handle grip on my 4/0 now.

My question is, I noticed that when you put the handle back on you used the inside hole (which makes the handle arm shorter) I put mine on the outer. (longer) Whats your take on this? My thought is that it will allow more line in per turn (my 13 year old who will be using this reel). Also, that it would allow my son to have more leverage (power). What you think?  

alantani

most would use this reel for fairly light duty.  by that, i mean 5 pounds of drag for trolling or bouncing the bottom with 2-3 pound of lead.  deep water halibut comes to mind.  handle length might not be that critical.  if you use the short throw position, it's quicker to crank, but you have less leverage.  obviously, the longer position is just the opposite.  for light duty applications, i get a little impatient with a slower crank, even if i loose a little leverage.  for your kid, the longer throw position would probably be preferable.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

LAChamp

thanks Alan, good point. I think I'll leave on the longer one. If I see that he has trouble with it, I'll move it the shorter one.