What Size reel for 20lb. test?

Started by Balvar24, March 12, 2023, 03:11:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balvar24

My wife bought me a castable depth finder.  The manual recommends 20 lb. test line.  Is a 270 too big?  Been thinking about getting one.  Now I have an excuse.

oldmanjoe

If you play your cards right , I see 3 new reels in your future .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Balvar24

Maybe.  I've got a 220, but figure it's a bit on the small side.  May stick with it all the same.  The little fish finder weighs a couple ounces, but I'm only going to be lobbing it and dragging it back.  Not looking to drag sea monsters up on the bank.

foakes

I would expect that 20 pound is only a suggestion —- and one that could be varied a little bit.

For 20 pound mono —- a 3000 to 4000 sized reel would be the ticket.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Balvar24

Kind of what I figured on all accounts.  Around here most recommendations are tempered by the things available and on hand.

philaroman

if you want versatility, go with Fred's suggestion
3001/4001 will work great for fish-finder AND DO SO MUCH MORE

for a dedicated fish-finder reel, you don't need much power, gear durability, or ANY drag
look for something distinctly lacking in those areas, but good in all other criteria
I'd prob go for affordable modern: large-yet-light, high-speed AND ABUNDANT CHEAP SPARE SPOOLS!!!

possible vintage options:
1) there was a worm-drive discussed on AT a while ago (South Bend?  ...someone will know)
it was made high-speed by adding transfer gear(s) between main & pinion, resulting in drastic loss of power
it looked bulletproof in every other way & YOU DON'T NEED POWER -- total non-issue for several ounces, esp. top-water
2) get a later less desirable maroon Shakes w/ cracked plastic spool cam & just fuse spool w/ shaft -- YOU DON'T NEED DRAG

MarkT

For what you've said you'll use it for I'd go with a baitcaster!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!