Need parts for a classic ProGear 454 reel (found them)

Started by steelfish, March 13, 2023, 01:47:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

I just got this reel which is missing the handle side plate and internals, as long as I know, the internals of this reel are the same than the penn 113h, so, I think I have all internal parts (but I need to double check) but of course I dont have the handle sideplate.
I attaching some pictures so, you can confirm if its a 454 or 545 model.
so, if by chance someone has the handle sideplate for this reel EVEN if it doesnt match with the Silver color of the frame-sideplate, let me know.

this reel was given to me by a local captain that found a forgotten bag of miscellaneous parts and reels that he didnt wanted to try to repair, with this reel he also gave me the frame, spool and trashed-out sideplates of a penn YTS reel, again with no gears, drags, etc , the YTS tiburon frame looks pretty ugly with some corrosion here and there, in a chance I will clean the frame and paint the corroded spots with a red automotive touch-up pen and called it done, I will build the YTS again for a loaner reel.

anyway, let me know if you have a spare Progear 454 sideplate  :)

The Baja Guy

Ron Jones

Crazy proposition, but I wonder if a Lee Pro plate could fit? Fred has a bunch.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

MarkT

The red one is a YTS conversion. It needs a 113h side plate. The silver looks like a 454/440. It needs one their side plates due to how they're inset into the frame.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

steelfish

Quote from: MarkT on March 13, 2023, 02:20:08 AMThe red one is a YTS conversion. It needs a 113h side plate. The silver looks like a 454/440. It needs one their side plates due to how they're inset into the frame.
yep, I think I have all things and bits to build the RED one again, its the proGear handle sideplate that its not easy to find.

The Baja Guy

steelfish

Quote from: steelfish on March 13, 2023, 01:47:50 AMI just got this reel which is missing the handle side plate and internals...........

this reel was given to me by a local captain that found a forgotten bag of miscellaneous parts and reels that he didnt wanted to try to repair

well almost 6 months later I got a call from my friend (panga captain), his wife was moving some old stuff from one room and she found one of those Danish cookies metal tins (yep the ones that Nanas and "moms" like to use to storing their "Sewing kit") when she opened up she found some reel parts on it instead of a sewing kit LOL, she called her husband and minutes later this guy called me telling me  -Alex some of the missing parts of the ProGear reel were found!
lucky me !
seems that almost all internals as well as the sideplate, drag star and handle are here, he recalled that this reel had a problem thats why he stopped to use it but didnt recalled what it was, so, seems that I will found out that later.
although he didn't asked any money for those parts I offered to repair some of his loaner rods he use on his charter business that I saw on his house, some needed a guide or two and some were missing the tiptops too.

I cleaned both sideplates, bearings and the internals but for now I just put the spool on it and the right sideplate and spun the spool, Daaaaang !! this thing spun forever

Im not in a rush to build this ProGear but I will have it in working condition in a chance
The Baja Guy

sciaenops

Nice score. Not as lite as modern stuff, but You'll love it once you put it back together.

Bryan Young

Nice Alex. If you need any missing parts, let me know. I might have it.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

thorhammer

Bry-Bry, good to see you back in the fold! Hope you're doing well!

steelfish

Quote from: Bryan Young on August 10, 2023, 08:36:25 PMNice Alex. If you need any missing parts, let me know. I might have it.

thanks for the offer amigo.
I will let you know in case I need anything for this reel
The Baja Guy

ExcessiveAngler

Wow, reely! Now, that's a reely good, reel story, for sure lol!
Truly sounds, like it was meant to be to me!
"Gotta love it, when a plan comes together"
And it's got a nice comfy handle on it too!
I've had a lot of reels over the years, that I took apart and left them in bags, because parts, just weren't available for them!
So, I hold onto them for a long time and then decide to get rid of them, because they're in the way or I don't think, I'll ever find another donor one!
Then, somehow, I wind up finding another one somewhere, shortly there after!
Too late, I reluctantly and foolishly, got rid of the other one already lol!
Problem with this is, you wind up, turning into a hoarder LMAO!
That's ok, if your hoarding, the good stuff!
But, looks like this worked out in your favor, by being patient!
Good luck with it buddy!

steelfish

Quote from: steelfish on August 10, 2023, 12:09:56 AMIm not in a rush to build this ProGear but I will have it in working condition in a chance

Believe it or not !! I coulndt wait more to get my hands on that nice reel  ::)  ::)

Quote from: steelfish on March 13, 2023, 01:47:50 AM....he did recalled there was a problem on this reel thats why he stopped to use it but didnt recalled what it was, so, seems that I will found out that later.

well, seem the reel had two problems, a broken Eccentric spring and it was missing a tension spring of the drag stack and the "legs" of the old-style eccentric jack were bent, good thing I could find all those parts on my small toolbox with short inventory of parts, installed a new eccentrick spring, a new tension spring and a new-style eccentric jack.
all the rest of the parts were the ones that came in the reel already, it was a smooth installation, damg, this reels feel pretty sturdy and really smooth to crack, no wonder our friend from Alaska Gary the buttman modified his ProGear reels with new SS parts and a upgraded Drag parts

as here https://alantani.com/index.php/topic,23257.0.html
or here  https://alantani.com/index.php/topic,24963.0.html

Mine is up and running which is a plus right now considering I was losing all hope on finding the missing parts, for now it has all the factory stock parts so, it will be good for 20#-23# drag merely a 60# line reel, changed the stock handle wich has a short throw for a nice and comfy handle knob from out friend Ted.

With time, I will try to find the parts to upgrade it a bit, at least with SS sleeve, better drag as the 7+1 ultimate drag by B.Young and maybe Double dogged.

so, check the reel along my Baja Special, I though this ProGear was not as narrow as the Baja Special but seems equal or even a shy bit narrower so, is this a 454 model?

The Baja Guy

MarkT

When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

day0ne

The Penn SS sleeves don't play well with the Pro Gear bridge. It has to do with the base of the bridge post. You either have to use a Penn bridge or file the groove on the post so the pin fits. One has a square shoulder on the base of the post, the other has a tapered shoulder.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

steelfish

Quote from: MarkT on August 14, 2023, 08:49:22 PMIt's a 454 Yellowtail Special!

thanks Mark for confirming, I dont know much about PG reels
The Baja Guy

steelfish

Quote from: day0ne on August 14, 2023, 11:47:22 PMThe Penn SS sleeves don't play well with the Pro Gear bridge. It has to do with the base of the bridge post. You either have to use a Penn bridge or file the groove on the post so the pin fits. One has a square shoulder on the base of the post, the other has a tapered shoulder.

thanks for pointing this up, I will have it in mind when I decide to go for the SS sleeve.
The Baja Guy